Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12202122

Default Re: small cell foundation

Barry, I ask that you leave the thread active, giving jbshearse time to comment. A lot of time went into those posts, and if there is going to be any discussion, it will at least be informed.

deknow

Quote Originally Posted by deknow View Post
    yes, but the report I posted has much more interesting details as far as the beekeeping practices go...no?

deknow
    It speaks to a number of things Dean, among them is the fact that any one of your suppliers could just as easily have been the victim of this crime. Given that you have no testing program in place what protects you and your customers when unforeseen circumstances taint their honey? Such an occurance directly demonstrates what I said a looooooong time ago in this thread and that is why not simply let testing be your criteria. You estimated a full honey profile could be had for something under $300. If one would use a blending of samples from, perhaps, a 10 drum lot that would amount to less than .05 per lb. in testing costs. If your supplier would agree to share the cost that would get you down to a little over .02 a lb. Seems like a pretty small cost to pay when you are marketing a premium product for top dollar. What cost piece of mind? What cost consumer safety?
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

No it implies yeast.

Sorry Barry, written before I saw your post.

Deknow, thanks for another brilliant thread. No doubt it will be a big help to my beekeeping, and with this knowledge, you might even be able to stop buying packages to replace all your bees every year.
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

I'm all done Barry. Now to print out these 400+ posts and start studying for the big test. Sure do hope the ink and paper supply holds out. Wonder if I could figure out a way to get a pie chart showing who did the most postings?Thought this would be a good graphic to leave as a reminder of all the good times. Hey Dean, as Bill O'Reilly would say (Im sure you love him) "I'll give you the final word" (could it be any other way?)
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Is it time for the "yo momma" insults now? get a grip!

Jim, in this case, the crime was evident...the bees were dead/dying, no? All of our suppliers are observant and honest...if something like this was going on, they would notice, and they would take action.

there is always the possibility of something more subtle going on...but how many people/year are poisoned by honey in the U.S.? we are dealing directly with the producers who are well above average in their skills and their attention to detail. Given their practices and who they are (and the extent to which I feel like I can rest my business on their integrity and skill), I'm not very concerned...I'm much more paranoid about broken glass ending up in a jar.

But one thing is for sure....if they had an incident that needed someone to investigate, the investigators would not find amatraz (which was illegal at the time, and still is in fl, I think...but now there is a higher than zero limit in honey) or fipronol filled cd cases in the bottoms of the hive. I don't care who tests that stuff, I don't want it.

deknow

I apologize but I simply can't resist pointing out the obvious. Here is an individual relying on "observant and honest" individuals whom he does business with buying untested honey that he professes to be superior that has challenged the beekeeping practices of a large scale honey producer (who actually controls 100% of his operation and has definitive independent testing results to show that it is some of the purest honey available) who wants us to follow his rhetoric and believe that the product he markets and sells (does not produce) is for whatever reason superior. Now pardon me for a second here while I scrape years of propolis off my brain, does this make sense to anyone?
    "Tradition becomes our security, and when the mind is secure it is in decay".....Krishnamurti

Sense? No there's certainly double standards involved as everybody elses honey is tested and held up for public scrutiny, but not his own. Or more accurately as he doesn't actually produce honey, what he buys from other beekeepers. What's to hide?

After reading the one eyed comments in these threads though, one eyed business practises hardly surprise me.

It's what happens when a person believes their own propaganda. Doing the testing, could be a risk. Better "don't know, can't say".
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

on the other hand, if none of us gave a crap, there wouldn't be all this bs.

cheers.
    journaling the growth of a treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

True. Guess being insulted, belittled and made to appear a liar is hard to resist attempting to refute, along with watching things being "proved", that aren't proved. But I'll have to try more self discipline, there's a lot of gear in my shed should have been made yesterday.

I offer an open invitation to anyone that has participated in this thread to choose any honey in our facility or off the shelf to test it by any of the standard methods, or via the Polarmetrics machine (I give this caveat because one time I was told our honey was being tested against other honey in the store, and it turned out it was "muscle testing".
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Applied_kinesiology

you think it should be done, you think i have something to hide, you pay for it. You better come pick it out yourself so I don't give you "one of the good batches" I only ask that it not be the only honey you test at the same time...test it along with your own, with honey from walmart, or honey from the health food store, or amazon.com for all i care.

deknow

deknow

Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12202122