Default Does anyone else here raise/breed racing homing pigeons?

Just wondering if anyone here raises and/or breeds pigeons. I have done it now for four years. I had 40 pairs at my max, but now only have 2 pairs. Wouldn't mind seeing some pics of your pigeons lofts for ideas for improvement. Please respond to this post if you do. Thanks!

Default Re: Does anyone else here raise/breed racing homing pigeons?

I copied and sent your message to a guy at Glencoe Okla, he might respond?

Thanks Myron.

I don't, but for whatever reason it is very popular here. I see them at the post office quite often and just around the corner are several large coops (it that's what you call them).
    I often see banded birds in my yard and travels. Looks interesting.
    How does it work? Do you race other people's birds? How fast are they?
    Number 6# shot modified choke 1 ft lead fast? (Joking)

Quote Originally Posted by Mbeck View Post
    Number 6# shot modified choke 1 ft lead fast? (Joking)
    I do have lots of bird-dog trainers that I have sold unpedigreed birds to. That's what they do, shoot them. They are fun to shoot and good to eat. But I don't shoot and eat my breeding pigeons; just the mutts and poor quality ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Mbeck View Post
    How does it work? Do you race other people's birds? How fast are they?
    I have not actually raced pigeons before, just read about it and sold lots of birds to people who do race them. My understanding is that is is somewhat of a gamble. There is a grand money prize for each race, and you get out of the race what you put in; you must have your pigeons on a good diet, you must flight train them well and often, etc. Requires plenty of time, but they say it pays off. There are up 600,00 pigeons per race, sometimes as few as 500. There is a special micro-chipped band on each pigeon leg, and a scanner just above then entrance to the pigeons housing. The time is recorded from start to finish, and the miles per minute is calculated, and the fastest bird wins the prize. I have seen good pairs of racing pigeons go for $8,000 per pair. But I usually sell each individual bird for between $50-$75 and $200 for a mature mated breeding pair. I can park on the exit of Interstate 80, 50 miles from home, open the doors to release the pigeons, and quickly drive home at 75 miles an hour (we live just off the interstate). They beat me home every time. I think it is amazing.

I raced them from the last year of high school for about 10 years. I always seem to get into the things (bees) that most people avoid. Its like everything else though, the few good ones get supported by the majority. The cost of fuel and training the birds will killl you. One interesting thing in hind site is, our toughest race for young birds was always 225 miles with the birds flying out of syracuse. now that I live in syracuse I can understand why, its always cloudy and rainy here. as to the speed of the birds just like bee keeping, depends on which way the wind is blowing. I like the idea of the mirco chipped band. we used rubber bands that had #'s on them, you had to catch the bird, carefully(not removing to many feathers from the legs) remove the rubber band, put it in a capsule, put the capsule in a slot in the clock, turn a handle and it would mark the time. We used to race VanRiels from belgium, but I ran into a guy last year and he says they no longer exhist. The mafia was big into racing them when I was doing it, got two or three reallly interesting stories but not sure if the parties involved are still alive. Always wanted to start doing it again, but also found out now they have found ways to dope up the birds on race day, so decided not so interested when you have to take blood samples(not sure if they really test them) of the winning birds.
    mike syracuse ny
    I went to bed mean, and woke up meaner. Marshal Dillon

Quote Originally Posted by wildbranch2007 View Post
    The cost of fuel and training the birds will killl you.
    Right on.

I've been interested in trying to get some birds, not necessarily to race, just because I think it's interesting and I like things that make me seem (more) eccentric to friends and neighbors

Send me your email address and I will forward it to Kirk
    mdenny4396@aol,com

i raced for about 5 years withl my kids till they got little older.