Hybrid View

Default Do you make your own frames? Please show me how!

Hello all,
    I would like to learn how to make my own frames. I know that some of you all do make your own, and I am wondering if you would be willing to share the steps and process here. Please post pictures or videos! I am really interested in pics and videos, seeing I have already seen some plans, but have yet to come even close to perfecting the process. The few ones I have made work, but take awhile to make, and are altered slightly for easier "manufacturing" and construction. I'll post some photos as soon as I can. Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Do you make your own frames? Please show me how!

I'm in the same boat. I'd like to see if I can cost effectively make my own frames. I think getting choice lumber is going to be the difficult part. It'd be impossible to make good frames from the standard 1 by lumber I get from Lowe's without cutting out a bunch of the big knots.

Old Guy in Alabama

Okay, here is my very simple design. The bottom bar is an unused one from Mann Lake that I had sitting around. I make my own bottom bars identically except for that I don't neck down the ends.This is an unused foundationless jumbo frame; you can tell by the fishline wiring and the starter strip in the top bar groove. Here are some pics:

Picture 079.jpg

Picture 080.jpg

Picture 081.jpg

Picture 082.jpg

Picture 083.jpg

Has anybody ever used plywood for end bars? Pros? Cons?

Thanks.

DJ

Cons... Warping, chipping when shaping, voids where beetles can hide. Don't really see any benefits.

Quote Originally Posted by djastram View Post
    Has anybody ever used plywood for end bars? Pros? Cons?

Thanks.

DJ
    I'm certainly not a woodworker but I would think that the plywood would be very hard on any dado blades or other cutters.
    BeeCurious
    Trying to think inside the box...

I was going to try to CNC some bars out of baltic birch, but would like to know if it would have any effect the bees at all.

I'm sure there are plenty of opinions on ply in the hive, so forgive me if I hit a nerve.

I am a woodworker and we use plywood a lot for shelves and routinely cut dados in it. That isn't much of an issue to me, but it's suitability for making frames is certainly a no. Just not stable enough.

Quote Originally Posted by BeeCurious View Post
    I'm certainly not a woodworker but I would think that the plywood would be very hard on any dado blades or other cutters.
    Plywood is very hard on blades. the glue that hold the lamination together is abrasive. think of sawing sandpaper constantly. Carbide tipped blades withstand it fairly well.

Delamination of the plys might be a problem inside the hive. Otherwise all plywood have voids in between the outer plys cheap ply is used to make the thickness only grade ply is used on the outer surfaces. That is why ply is graded C-D Ext (Called CDX). one side is grade C and the other is grade D. and is for Exterior use. But the middle is trash.
    Stand for what you believe, even if you stand alone.

Quote Originally Posted by westernbeekeeper View Post
    Hello all,
    I would like to learn how to make my own frames. I know that some of you all do make your own, and I am wondering if you would be willing to share the steps and process here. Please post pictures or videos! I am really interested in pics and videos, seeing I have already seen some plans, but have yet to come even close to perfecting the process. The few ones I have made work, but take awhile to make, and are altered slightly for easier "manufacturing" and construction. I'll post some photos as soon as I can. Thanks in advance.
    I hope this help you out

Part 1
    http://youtu.be/FrK2mG44wpQ

Part 2
    http://youtu.be/Avww6M2zlRw

BEE HAPPY Jim 134
    Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA.
    http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Jim 134 View Post
    I hope this help you out

This guy needs to make some push sticks or he is going to end up with some shorter fingers!
    Like us on facebook This is the place to bee!
    Ralph