Default Size of bellows nuts for Dadant smoker

Does anyone happen to know the size of the nut required for the bellows posts on a Dadant 4x10 smoker? Somewhere, one of mine came off and I would like to get it fixed before I start losing the others - but it is already starting to feel like one of those really easy fixes that require 15 trips to the hardware store, hunting and pecking for the right size nut OR purchasing 20 10-packs of every possible nut size!

Thanks for any help.

Default Re: Size of bellows nuts for Dadant smoker

I think dadant will sell you a pack of smoker nuts. I am not sure of the exact size.

Bring smoker with to check and get Teflon thread, they won't come off again. Just don't get them too tight or the thread will snap. I've used a 6/32"

Personally, I would just go through my junk box, a small (4x6x4) plastic tub of screws, nuts, bolts, nails and other fasteners I've accumulated over the years, left over from many, many projects and repairs. I most likely have what I need.
    If you don't have a junk box ?? you could probably just take one of those nuts to the hardware store and use their nut and bolt sizer to find the right fit before buying anything.

We've found a little dab of lock-tite will keep them from loosening up. The little lock nuts don't seem to do the job they are supposed to.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Do have a junk box - nothing in there fit, almost got one to, but it popped of. I actually emailed Dadant and they got back to me:

"#6-32 thread, but are unique in that the lockwasher is attached to the nut itself." They are also mailing me a couple of replacements at no charge. Good ole Dadant!

Quote Originally Posted by NDnewbeek View Post
    Do have a junk box - nothing in there fit, almost got one to, but it popped of. I actually emailed Dadant and they got back to me:

"#6-32 thread, but are unique in that the lockwasher is attached to the nut itself." They are also mailing me a couple of replacements at no charge. Good ole Dadant!
    Go to the hardware store and get a #6-32 top lock nut and it will never come off. That's not the same as a nylock, it's a top lock. The nut is crimped at the top, no nylon insert.
    The more I learn about bees, the less I know.

a lot of newer stuff is metric or maybe even some oddball china thread. take your smoker to your larger local hardware or farm store. see what fits with a regular nut. then buy the self lock crimp type not the nylon-lock type.

clear finger nail polish works great and can remove nut when U want 2

Quote Originally Posted by allniter View Post
    clear finger nail polish works great and can remove nut when U want 2
    +1 poor mans Locktite. Just like a Sharpie is poor mans machinists Dykem layout fluid.
    Carniolans, 10 frame mediums

I gonna take a Sharpie and go write 6/32 on my smoker in case I ever lose one...

Two birds with one stone !
    Carniolans, 10 frame mediums

Quote Originally Posted by appalachianoutdoors View Post
    I gonna take a Sharpie and go write 6/32 on my smoker in case I ever lose one...
    If you're like me, you won't remember why you wrote it on it to begin with.
    The more I learn about bees, the less I know.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Bee View Post
    If you're like me, you won't remember why you wrote it on it to begin with.
    Probably true😀...I also write the size of the spindle bolts for my mower blades on the side of my mower decks also.

Quote Originally Posted by appalachianoutdoors View Post
    Not six thirty-seconds. The size is #6. The threads are 32 per inch (fine thread).

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyMcBean View Post
    Not six thirty-seconds. The size is #6. The threads are 32 per inch (fine thread).
    My phone auto corrected my post from to #6-32 to 6/32 in my first post. I didn't notice until other replies came in. Thanks for catching the error...

I'm going to run thru how it's done the right way once so you don't have to make 15 trips and buy 10-packs of 25 nuts.

Most hardware store have a set of drawers that are for nuts and bolts. Carriage bolts, aircraft nuts...you name it is in them.
    If you look hard there are two "nut guides". The nut guide has every size bolt and nut attached and labeled...one guide for standard and one for metric. That way you can walk up with an "Idunno" and see what you got.

You take one of the nuts off your smoker, run to the hardware store, and see which one it fits. Then it's pretty simple to find the right drawer...there are many. You'll find single nuts in the drawers.
    I really don't know what they call it.
    "Nut and bolt index"?
    Internet credibility is an oxymoron

Quote Originally Posted by aunt betty View Post
    I'm going to run thru how it's done the right way once so you don't have to make 15 trips and buy 10-packs of 25 nuts.

Most hardware store have a set of drawers that are for nuts and bolts. Carriage bolts, aircraft nuts...you name it is in them.
    If you look hard there are two "nut guides". The nut guide has every size bolt and nut attached and labeled...one guide for standard and one for metric. That way you can walk up with an "Idunno" and see what you got.

You take one of the nuts off your smoker, run to the hardware store, and see which one it fits. Then it's pretty simple to find the right drawer...there are many. You'll find single nuts in the drawers.
    "Nut and bolt index"?
    I would like to believe this, but since "Internet credibility is an oxymoron" and I got this from the internet, I don't know if I can!

Quote Originally Posted by NDnewbeek View Post
    Do have a junk box - nothing in there fit
    Not junky enough! Keep working on that!
    I always laugh when I need two identical items and find the first one. If there's one in there, there must be two! I keep digging until I am successful or, like sometimes not finding a queen, I just give up!

"Nut and bolt index"?
    Much easier to simply take the nut in and start trying assorted BOLTS to see which one fits.
    The question is what to do, and the answer, as always, is complicated by a muddle of reason, emotion, and doubt.

"Nut and bolt index"?
    These hardware stores are getting more and more difficult to find in many places. Home Depot and lowes have pushed them all out.