Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Caldwell TX USA
    Posts
    21

    Default Top Entrance and Bee Escapes?

    I really like the ease of use of bee escapes to get all the bees out of full super. But I've also been convinced (mostly by Michael Bush's posts) that a top entrance would be beneficial.

    But, how can the two work together? In researching this, Michael likes to wait for a cold day & the bees won't be in the supers. Issue here is that we only get about 5 "cold" days/year in central Texas.

    Only thing I can think of is to add a empty super below the ones I want to collect, and add a 'side entrance' above it & just below the bee escape? I could even modify the bee escape to have the side entrance as part of it.

    Has anyone experimented with this?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Fenton, MI
    Posts
    338

    Default Re: Top Entrance and Bee Escapes?

    I am a firm believer in a top entrance. I started without; now I know better,

    I built a bee escape the other day. I figured that I will simply keep the inner cover with the notch (my top entrance) below the supers and the escape board when I want to harvest. The bees will figure it out.
    The question is what to do, and the answer, as always, is complicated by a muddle of reason, emotion, and doubt.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Caldwell TX USA
    Posts
    21

    Default Re: Top Entrance and Bee Escapes?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jackam View Post
    I am a firm believer in a top entrance. I started without; now I know better,

    I built a bee escape the other day. I figured that I will simply keep the inner cover with the notch (my top entrance) below the supers and the escape board when I want to harvest. The bees will figure it out.
    Three thoughts. First, that is a very simple solution that would work for this issue.

    But second, what does that do for air circulation? Part of the top entrance that I liked is that it allows moisture and heat to rise out of the hive. Now with the exit only 1/2 way up the hive, I don't think I get even 1/2 the benefit. One option is the D E Hive top vent, but that is an extra expense.

    Third, what do you do for the lid? Conventional lid? Or just a piece of plywood?

    Keep in mind when I say heat, a few years ago we had 100 days of 100 deg F weather for the summer. Ugh, that was miserable.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Fenton, MI
    Posts
    338

    Default Re: Top Entrance and Bee Escapes?

    Quote Originally Posted by TexasFreedom View Post

    what does that do for air circulation? Part of the top entrance that I liked is that it allows moisture and heat to rise out of the hive. Now with the exit only 1/2 way up the hive, I don't think I get even 1/2 the benefit.
    When you put your bee escape on, you must remove the supers. While they are off, put the nitched inner cover just above the brood and below the escape. This is only for overnight. You harvest the next day.

    Quote Originally Posted by TexasFreedom View Post
    what do you do for the lid? Conventional lid? Or just a piece of plywood?
    I have telescoping and migratory covers. Your plywood would work just as well.
    The question is what to do, and the answer, as always, is complicated by a muddle of reason, emotion, and doubt.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Miami, Manitoba, Canada
    Posts
    9,050

    Default Re: Top Entrance and Bee Escapes?

    Close off the top entrance a few days before you put in the escape

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Nehawka, Nebraska USA
    Posts
    51,923

    Default Re: Top Entrance and Bee Escapes?

    I set a bee escape on a stand, stack supers on the escape (sometimes from more than one hive) and put another escape on the top (facing the other way of course). Come back in 24 hours. It works well IF there is no brood in any of the boxes.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •