Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: I don't think my bees are going to make it through winter

mich, how many frames of bees do you have?
    journaling the growth of a treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

Quote Originally Posted by WWW View Post
    It is good to remember that the last week in September is a good time to start your winter mite treatments, this will give the hive an opportunity for at least two more brood cycles providing them with healthy bees that will survive the winter. I have found oxalic vapor to be a very effective tool in the fight against Varroa.
    Good to know, thank you!

I'm hoping to get into a beekeeping class this year. Gosh I underestimated this adventure!

Quote Originally Posted by squarepeg View Post
    mich, how many frames of bees do you have?
    Less than 1 frame from what I saw, but I didn't want to disturb them too much by messing with the hive, so I just pulled one empty frame out and moved the others to see down between the frames.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Rogers View Post
    Michkel, what's the location of your bees? Your status says Placer county california! What town are you near? Oops! I see you posted this already.
    If you are not familiar with the area, I am 1/2 way between Sacramento and Lake Tahoe on 80 in the foothills.

You mean like Nevada City/Grass Valley? I grew up in the country out there....its good 'bee land' with the abundant forest fires and resulting blackberries and poison oak!

Im also looking for a good recipe for pollen/candy patties. Im in the N.W. now and have a light hive that may not make it on their stores.

I've followed the rules and failed. I've ignored the rules and succeeded. The more I fuss, the weaker they get. The less I do, the better they do. My first hive I found down to two frames in late August and learned about our summer dearth. I filled the feeder and left them to their own devices. They surprised me the following spring and became the source of over a dozen colonies over the past eight or so years. Hopefully they will surprise you. If so, I suspect you will create a strong source for more.

Michkel,
    I made a mistake earlier when I said that the last week in September was a good time to start treatments, I must have been slightly off kelter that day, I meant to say the last week in August,
    Bill...in Southeast Ohio Zone 6A

Quote Originally Posted by throrope View Post
    I've followed the rules and failed. I've ignored the rules and succeeded. The more I fuss, the weaker they get. The less I do, the better they do. My first hive I found down to two frames in late August and learned about our summer dearth. I filled the feeder and left them to their own devices. They surprised me the following spring and became the source of over a dozen colonies over the past eight or so years. Hopefully they will surprise you. If so, I suspect you will create a strong source for more.

Thank you - you give me hope. It's been cold lately and I've been worried about them. It's been too cold/rainy to open up the hive and check, so they have their feed and hopefully they will make it. My fingers are crossed.

WWW - thank you for the clarification on mite treatments.