Thread: Winter swarm?

Hybrid View

Default Winter swarm?

Hi All,
    I am new to this site and a new bee ,Have a question I hope somone could shed light on. Had one hive to start, It did great all season,Started out with one deep and ended with four deeps and two supers. Very strong hive I think. Prepared for winter by reducing down to two deeps and one super. Checked a week ago ,weather was in the 60's, hive was active inside and out. Just checked This Saturday and no sounds from hive and no activity outside, So I opened the hive and bees were gone, The top deep and super had plenty of stores, The bottom deep was completey empty and I found a open queen cell. There was about a handfull of dead bees on the bottom screen. Not sure what happen, Did some research and I come up with possable Vorroa mites. Any help would be helpful.I had Russian bees from a package. And feed them all season,I did not harvest any thing just wanted bees to be strong going in to winter.
    Thank You In Advance,
    John

Default Re: Winter swarm?

I'm a newbie also. How did you reduce 4 deeps down to 2 deeps for winter without taking their stores. I started with a5 frame nuc in may and would up with 2 deeps and a super that I left alone. As you I wanted it to be strong going into winter

Quote Originally Posted by David Cassity View Post
    I'm a newbie also. How did you reduce 4 deeps down to 2 deeps for winter without taking their stores. I started with a5 frame nuc in may and would up with 2 deeps and a super that I left alone. As you I wanted it to be strong going into winter
    Hi David,
    I had a beekeeper you has been keeping bees for a long time explained how to. I removed the two deeps which did not have alot of stores and shifted some fuller frames down. Brushed what bees were on the frames in to the bottom boxs. I left two deeps and a super on. I really not sure if all of this was a good thing to do now that I had a loss. I was told to reduce for winter, And my question to this bee keeper was " What about all the bees in the two deeps I am taking off, will they have enough room?" I am still learning . I hope we can share some tips on different methods.

John

John -

Sorry to hear of your loss. Difficult to say, but probably swarmed if they left a queen cell. Fall swarms are not unusual, but December is definitely very late (and very unlikely to be successful). Difficult to say whether your reduction may have contributed to swarming - would have to see the population and local conditions. Best to store the leftover honey and comb and order a new package for next year. Let us know your progress and good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by TriJim View Post
    John -

Sorry to hear of your loss. Difficult to say, but probably swarmed if they left a queen cell. Fall swarms are not unusual, but December is definitely very late (and very unlikely to be successful). Difficult to say whether your reduction may have contributed to swarming - would have to see the population and local conditions. Best to store the leftover honey and comb and order a new package for next year. Let us know your progress and good luck.
    Thank you, Did fail to mention that there were a few bees with their heads in cells. I now feel that the reduction contributed to this. My question is did I reduce correctly? The hive was strong prior to reduction.

Thank You for your help,
    John

Not likely a swarm. Sounds like mites.

I have three hives die in the past week. All were healthy in early october and dies with a hand full of bees left in the hive.

Treated all hives in August/September with different mite treatments. Hives that died last week were all hopguard treated hives.
    Pearl City Apiary Michael and Loucil Bach