Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Mr. Nasty visits

odfrank, that log is a planed and painted board, they do not grow that way in Alachua County, maybe in San Mateo, yes he was in my space
    My wife does not want the dog, bout 20 pounds tangling with snakes or gators either. My neighbors have each lost dogs to snakes. We live on the edge of the Santa Fe Valley and home to the most natural springs in North America. There is a spring on my farm that is flowing pretty good right now. There are plenty of snakes for everyone.
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

AmBeekeeper,

Deer on private property that butts up public land can also present a real danger if allowed to congregate in higher density than traditionally found elsewhere. The ones with developed antlers can be a big threat running around threatening to impale small dogs and knock over beehives. They will rub the bark off all the nice trees and scrape up the ground destroying the balance of our sensitive native vegetation.

Give me a call and I can develop a plan that focuses on removing old rank resource destroying male deer. I can also cull a couple younger deer to provide some flesh to sear over an open flame on your porch the smell will deter future invasions.

We can work hog control into the plan if needed as well.

I'm here for you!!

I appreciate the concern. I have the largest stainless grill, with a searing burner. It would only take a few minutes to get it hot.
    We actually have too many deer here. I frequently have to stop in the morning and evening to let them cross on the way to the paved road.
    The neighbors thin the heard when my wife, Diane is at work.
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

Our cats have kept the mouse, vole and snake population in check.
    Tim: Don't Worry, Bee Happy
    USDA Zone 6b, elev. 1100' ASL

This thread gives me just one more reason to stay north of the Mason-Dixon Line. I don't care much for non-poisonous snakes and wouldn't have much tolerance for rattlers and other venomous snakes in the yard or in places I frequent.

I came very nearly close to stepping on a 3-foot prairie rattlesnake a couple months ago. A couple gunshots to the head worked well; can't have him hanging around here with alll my little brothers.

Twice in my time here in Montana, I have found that I can levitate and land feet away after stepping on a rattler while bird hunting. I don't kill snakes for fun or anything else, but if a poisonous snake is in an area frequented by people, it is going to have a bad day. When I move a beehive, I tip it to me not away from me because snakes have been seen under my bottomboards. I have seen me crap my pants when this happens. A friend of mine who lives on the TN/AL border told me that he tries not to kill Mr cottonmouth because there is usually another that then gets you. Is this a superstition or do they stay in pairs?

Got out of the drift boat in eastern Oregon high desert and was getting rid of some coffee. About half way done one of those suckers let go. Tell you want, not the position you want to be in for your first rattler encounter! I hit him with some rocks, the guy I was with almost beat my *****. Said you kill it or you leave it alone, now we got an injured snake in the area. Thought I would chime in with what most of you snake guys already knew- Live and learn.
    Well ‘Dorothy’, you’re not in Wisconsin any more
    http://i1141.photobucket.com/albums/...andgrandpa.jpg
    “Why do we fall, sir? So that we might learn to pick ourselves up” Alfred Pennyworth Batman Begins (2005)

Quote Originally Posted by DLMKA View Post
    This thread gives me just one more reason to stay north of the Mason-Dixon Line. I don't care much for non-poisonous snakes and wouldn't have much tolerance for rattlers and other venomous snakes in the yard or in places I frequent.
    Perhaps they arent "playing in Peoria" but the timber rattler might be closer than you think. http://srelherp.uga.edu/snakes/crohor.htm
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Growing up in Florida, I used to catch and sell snakes. Poisonous ones brought the most money. We always were happy to catch Cottonmouths (we just called them moccasins) and Eastern Diamondback Rattlers. We mostly sold them to Ross Allen's Reptile Institute in Silver Springs. It was good pocket money. There must be places there now to sell these snakes, as venom is still needed to produce anti venom. Seems like another way to make money keeping bees to me.
    His Hive Honey Farm - Do all for His glory!

My Dad and cousin had a cottonmouth fall into a jon boat out of a willow tree while running a trotline once. They about sunk the boat trying to beat that snake to death with anything they could grab. On another trip, when I was in the boat, we were running a trotline and had a small catfish on a hook, and a cottonmouth, which was still alive and had not drowned yet, had tried to eat the little catfish and gotten hooked. We decided to cut off that hook instead of trying to remove the hook from the snake's mouth. Good times when you are a kid.

Those are some brave snakes, and territorial. They are the only snakes I've ever been around that will sometimes come towards people instead of trying to slither away.