Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Recommend an electric stapler/nailer for Frames?

Quote Originally Posted by Acebird View Post
    You want to go the air route. electric is not going to do a good job for you and think of all the other uses for that compressor. How are you going to add air to your tires with an electric brad nailer, that is only going to give you holes. You can blow out your pc all all sorts of things. Dont go electric just a waste of money and a piece of junk. You also want staples not brads.

I could'nt wait to return my large electric stapler. Very heavy an hard to hold in place ,waiting for the kick back. My hand was tired just after the first ten frames. After I returned to the store for a refund, there was an air compressor with braid nailer for $15.00 differance $69.00. Two years later still works great. Go air. save up, an buy once, you'll be a happy beeker you did.

Quote Originally Posted by EastSideBuzz View Post
    You want to go the air route. electric is not going to do a good job for you ...
    I haven't used the electric nailer that I gave a link to so I don't know if it is junk. I do know that all contractors use cordless electric drills extensively. The power source is not what makes it junk. A cordless electric nailer could be used easier in the bee yard than an air driven nailer so there are advantages. I also see some advantages in using a brad nailer over a crown stapler for frames.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Ace, Or anyone else, How often would a person be using a nailer in the bee yard. I always imagine using it in a shop. I know repairs and such that made in the yard but have no idea of how often that can be expected. Just looking ahead at what I might expect.
    Stand for what you believe, even if you stand alone.

I can't give you an answer on that but what can happen is if you don't have a tool you do things another way but when you have a tool, especially when it is cordless, you find lots of uses.
    Let me give you an example even though it is reversed:
    We run a storage facility and from time to time we have to cut locks. Some locks require using a grinder. I would have to drag out 200 ft of extension cord to get power to the grinder to cut the lock. Then I bought a cordless grinder which was great if the batteries were charged and I only had to cut one lock. Now I have a generator which is the cats meow. I bought the generator for the RV but it has so many other uses. Now that I have a small generator at this facility I don't think I would be without one if I were a commercial beekeeper.
    Brian Cardinal

I run 150+ hives. Once every other year I wind up taking the compressor to the field to do some fixing. But, usually I swap out the gear and bring it back for fixing.

Staples on frames IMHO. But, would make an interesting poll.

As for the grinder. I use this one almost every day of the year. It is great for grinding staples when they go with the grain and come out. Or on pallets when you are modifying them. http://www.factoryauthorizedoutlet.c...cts/DC411B.asp. Out of all my tools this is by far the favorite. My nail guns are pretty fun but, this one is the best. Ok my Kubota tractor with backhoe is the best best.

I prefer old fords. I don't have any use for a backhoe.
    Brian Cardinal

I've got a lot of new frames to put together. (I'm a beginner).
    The original question (above) said he was a beginner with a "lot" of new frames to put together. If he is contemplating the number of frames that would be typical for a beginner, then my advice would be get a tack hammer and a supply the right sized nails.

If he is a beginner thinking about more than four hives, then I'd say think about two hives instead.

Quote Originally Posted by JRH View Post
    If he is contemplating the number of frames that would be typical for a beginner, then my advice would be get a tack hammer and a supply the right sized nails.
    While the original poster did describe himself as a "beginner,", he may not be as green as you think. According to this thread, he has already harvested some honey.

http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...t-an-Extractor
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Ok, since he is a beginner find another bee keeper in your club and go to his house and make up your frames. You can see what he does and decided if you want to go that route or not. Don't bee-keep in a vacuum.

Quote Originally Posted by JRH View Post
    then my advice would be get a tack hammer and a supply the right sized nails.
    I agree but he asked about a nailer and he even has the hammer. So all he needs is the nails or I suppose he could try to pound in crown staples.
    Brian Cardinal

I've used an electric brad nailer for over 50 years. They no longer make mine but there are some similar on the market. I also have air brad nailer. Comparing the two, the electric brad (1 1/4") gun is far easier and lighter. If you are also going to use wood glue, all the better. I only use the electric one for assembling frames and making swarm traps out of thin plyscore. OMTCW

All in one kit Notice, refurbished.
    http://www.amazon.com/Factory-Recond...5435597&sr=1-2

Quote Originally Posted by Acebird View Post
    I can't give you an answer on that but what can happen is if you don't have a tool you do things another way but when you have a tool, especially when it is cordless, you find lots of uses.
    Let me give you an example even though it is reversed:
    We run a storage facility and from time to time we have to cut locks. Some locks require using a grinder. I would have to drag out 200 ft of extension cord to get power to the grinder to cut the lock. Then I bought a cordless grinder which was great if the batteries were charged and I only had to cut one lock. Now I have a generator which is the cats meow. I bought the generator for the RV but it has so many other uses. Now that I have a small generator at this facility I don't think I would be without one if I were a commercial beekeeper.
    My wife is much better at seeing uses for my tools than I am. "Honey do".