Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Recommend an electric stapler/nailer for Frames?

I've got a lot of new frames to put together. (I'm a beginner). Can anyone recommend a particular model of electric stapler or brad nailer? I prefer not to use air-powered simply because I don't own a compressor or have space for one.

Thanks!
    Michael

Default Re: Recommend an electric stapler/nailer for Frames?

I can't recommend an electric stapler, but I use a 18 gauge crown stapler. Max length is 1.5 inches. It works great.

Ted

I have not used an 18 guage electric stapler or nailer, but based on the smaller electric staplers I have used, I don't think you will be happy with an electric tool.

Compressors don't have to be huge. This one is available at a Canadian Tire store not far from you:
    http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows....jsp?locale=en

There may be better deal available online.

I would reccommend avoiding the very cheapest compressors, such as this one:
    http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows....jsp?locale=en

While it may look OK, the DC motor (with brushes) is essentially similar to that used in a portable drill. Pay a few bucks more and get a better motor.

And once you have a compressor, there are plenty of other thing you can do with it!

This may be worth looking at:
    http://kelowna.en.craigslist.ca/tls/3460898431.html
    ultracrepidarian >> noting or pertaining to a person who criticizes, judges, or gives advice outside of his expertise

If you get one of the nice little pancake compressors they take up very little room. You can put em right under an assembally table and they arn't to heavy making carrying them to another spot pretty easy.

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-gallo...sor-95275.html

This is the one I use. Most big box stores sell something similar for a simalar price. I've never liked electric, they don't seem to do the job as well.
    Chris Cree
    Cree's Bees

I use a craftsman 18 gauge brad nailer works good.The only problem I have had was sometimes it will dry fire.I think they cost around $150.00.

I've got a lot of new frames to put together. (I'm a beginner).
    Be aware that one nail driven parallel to the deck (as we would have said in the Navy) is worth three driven straight down. You might wonder if your idea of a lot of new frames is really worth investing in power equipment. Four nails driven horizontally TOTAL (and a drop of glue) is all you would ever need in building a wooden frame.

harbor freight has a good working air stapler for $30, i got mine on sale for $20... the electric ones do not work the best.harbor freight and others have a dual brad nailer/ stapler, it is best to avoid this for frames, it does not consistantly put the staple where you aim it. learn to keep your fingers clear, a hidden knot or wild grain can deflect a staple when you least expcet it. i have had to relearn this warning a few times.

Quote Originally Posted by mathesonequip View Post
    learn to keep your fingers clear, a hidden knot or wild grain can deflect a staple when you least expcet it. i have had to relearn this warning a few times.
    Yup,

That is a lesson I learned the hard way as well! Honestly, I had a crown stapler before we started keeping bees. My stapler is an air driven Bostitch. The tool works well. However, sometimes I will just use nails for frames.

We use the air stapler alot for making lids, nucs, rim feeders and other misc parts. This is getting a bit off topic, but having an air compressor really comes in handy for other chores as well.

HTH,
    Shane

Quote Originally Posted by mpmurray View Post
    I've got a lot of new frames to put together. (I'm a beginner). Can anyone recommend a particular model of electric stapler or brad nailer? I prefer not to use air-powered simply because I don't own a compressor or have space for one.

Thanks!
    Michael
    As others have said, it's hard to recommend an electric stapler/nailer because they aren't any good. I have a stanley that is ok for stapling the wedge top piece for me (I turn it 90 degrees to use as a guide because I'm foundationless), but other than that it's pretty worthless for putting together equiptment. I also recommend the harbor freight pancake compressor and their staple/nailer. I bought one this last spring and couldn't be happier. As long as you have the pressure set at the correct PSI I think it's 70 something you are golden. More important, consider using a frame assembly jig. There is one in the plans section on here, or is you want a less complicated one google frame assembly jig and look for some guy who hates george bush (his name is something like bushsucks, or something). I think the jig is almost more important than the stapler/nailer, you can rock out some frames.

Nevermind I did the work for you.

http://robo.bushkillfarms.com/downlo...ssemblyJig.pdf

P.S. I had to modify the plans a little because the exact size lumber he has listed wasn't available at my lowes, the side pieces ended up taller and the piece that holds the frames in was also wider/taller and so the opening had to be upsized accordingly. You could also modify this to take more than 10 frames at a time, but I found 10 to be just fine. Knock 10 out, put in an empty hivebody to finish drying, start the next 10.
    Last edited by rweakley; 12-09-2012 at 10:24 PM. Reason: Added info

http://www.amazon.com/Supplierpipeli...s=portable+co2

Check out the above link , it is a co2 powered brad nailer/stapler gun that comes with a co2 cylinder so you don't need a compressor , but it will run off a compressor as well if you ever happen to get one.

The co2 cylinder will run most other small air tools as well.

I have one of these , it is light and works well.

It is about $200 with the co2 kit.

Or if you want to spend minimal bucks and don't mind a little more work , try a brad nail driver , they actually work very well.

http://shopping.canoe.ca/shop/produc...d_2764859.html

Just a comment on the above. It is not a gimmick. It is a more portable way to use a compressed gas (Air is a gas) system. So if you have never sen it before don't think it is an odd ball thing. It does work.problem is getting CO2 is a bit odd but once you find a source you are fairly well set. Not as convenient as a compressor setting there supplying and endless stream of compressed air. When the tank falls below adequate pressure you have to go somewhere to get it filled. The longevity of a tank may be an issue in frame building. You can get 50 lb tanks to refill from and that helps a lot.

Become aware of tanks and the regulation that concern them. they have to pass inspections every so often. As well as be stamped as approved. So just know not all tanks are equal. not all tanks can be filled. Cheap used ones are most suspect so know what you are doing.
    Stand for what you believe, even if you stand alone.

I have one of these. It's not much more than a glorified tire pump but it does work, drives staples nicely into frames. I wouldn't expect to build a house with it, but you know, you get what you pay for. And the stapler comes with it. The stapler, so far for me, has been pretty darn good. The compressor is the weak link just because of how long it takes to refill. When I get some funds for a better one I'll then use that one to power the stapler, so this isn't throw-away.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_103500-43657...AID=1024194494

I would do this. Wait for a sale and you can get it for 39 bucks. BF it was 30. http://www.harborfreight.com/air-too...sor-95275.html Get a roll of air hose too.

Then get this stapler. http://www.homedepot.com/buy/ridgid-...l#.UMaKY3euxOg you can find them refurbished also. Perfect for frames.

For boxes get http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o09_s00_i00

That is what I use. The compressor is for the back of the truck to use when I am waiting for my daughter at cheer practice. I have a bigger one in the garage. But, you cant beat the price.

ESB, how long does that small harborfreight compressor take to fill up and then how long for a recharge once it kicks in during use?

Quote Originally Posted by libhart View Post
    ESB, how long does that small harborfreight compressor take to fill up and then how long for a recharge once it kicks in during use?
    I've got that one and I'd say from empty to full is less than 5 mins (never timed it, but not that long). Once it drops below the set pressure it probably kicks on for less than a minute. I have been very pleased with both the compressor and the stapler/nailer I got from harbor freight. I do always empty it using the valve at the bottom to get the moisture out and I try to make sure to put oil in the stapler at the beginning of every frame session. I have only had them since probably march, but they have gotten a pretty good work out since.

For frames it does just fine. Since you need time to glue and assemble and also to flip. I do 10 or 15 at a time.

For boxes it also does OK. I use it when I am at the gym waiting for my daughter to get done. I found power on the light pole so don't need to run a generator. I also take it to the bee yard to fix things etc instead of swapping out and bringing home. Not that often so it works just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by EastSideBuzz View Post
    For boxes it also does OK. I use it when I am at the gym waiting for my daughter to get done. I found power on the light pole so don't need to run a generator.
    Am I the only one having a problem coming up with a visual on this one?
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by jim lyon View Post
    Am I the only one having a problem coming up with a visual on this one?
    It fits in very nicely with the "You might be a beekeeper if ...." thread.

You might be a beekeeper if you take hive body components and a compressor to the gym parking lot to pass the time while waiting to pick up your daughter.

Last edited by Rader Sidetrack; 12-10-2012 at 10:29 PM.
    ultracrepidarian >> noting or pertaining to a person who criticizes, judges, or gives advice outside of his expertise

Quote Originally Posted by Rader Sidetrack View Post
    You might be a beekeeper if you take hive body components and a compressor to the gym parking lot to pass the time while waiting to pick up your daughter.

Did not see that one coming that was funny. I do get some weird looks by the other business in the parking lot.

I have to do 5 things each day so I have to get creative to maximize time. I also fly with 100-200 end bars on trips and pound eyelets in them in the evenings. 200 end bars stays under the 40 lb check bag limit.

Am I the only one that does not have enough time in the day to get all the beekeeping stuff done that I need to get done.

Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping