Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: John & Wayne's Honey Stick device

Quote Originally Posted by BeeCurious View Post
    There is no "machine" that can be patented.
    I do not understand. I could patent anything if it was not patented before - I just need to pay $20K (more?) to reserve the idea, thing, whichever for me. Patent would just declare my ownership of the thing. The best example of patenting smartness was Singer, who patented the hole in the tip of the needle. The president of company called me another day - they patented the new way of sequencing DNA using electron microscope, but they actually do not know how to do it. They wanted me to do the job to prove that their patent make sense. I made what they wanted and now they are very unhappy because I did something, which they could not do. Now they do not want to pay me for the job. Patenting law in this country is weird.
    Серёжа, Sergey

Quote Originally Posted by Flewster View Post
    ... There are those that find it necessary to nit pick and say things they have no clue about. I have to wonder their motive. ....
    Don't take anything personal on beesource Flewster. This is place where bee-lovers are socializing and have fun. It is not patenting bureau. But, in this chatter, one could find a grain of useful information. The fact that people discuss your device is already beneficial to you - your device is already on top in google search! Good luck with your device and happy holidays! Sergey
    Серёжа, Sergey

No wonder you havent came up with a better idea.
    Do you want a better idea?

Install tee's above the manifold valves so you can fill two straws from each value. The honey should enter each pair of straws equally...
    BeeCurious
    5 hives and 8 nucs................... Trying to think inside the box...

Now that is not too bad an idea. right now it uses up almost the whole 16" of the sealer. Might make it too wide with the tee's but can see where your going with that.

Now that is not too bad an idea. right now it uses up almost the whole 16" of the sealer. Might make it too wide with the tee's but can see where your going with that.
    Hello!
    I would like to ask - do you have some very special kind of sealer? I bought one usual sealer, that is usually offered here in Europe, but it does not seal my straws normally - they are leaking. Maybe the problem is in improper wattage - I have a 300W unit.
    Or maybe I need some special straws? I have tried several types of cocktail straws, but with none I have succeeded to have non leaking straws... Could you give some comment on that, please!!!
    Last edited by Lynx Hive; 01-20-2013 at 08:31 AM.

300 watt is not enough for what your doing. I recommend at least a 750 watt unit and a good tip is that when you seal........have it set pretty high and hold the sealer down for several seconds after the sealer turns off to set teh seal in place. Firm pressure is needed to complete the seal. Good luck to you.

Wayne

Flewster,
    You may be too thin skinned to be an inventor. But then again, maybe not. I've invented a dozen products and sold the patents of a few.
    Most of the best "upgrades" I received was from a different set of eyes seeing the product from a different view. Critics are your best friends in this business as you just witnessed from BC.
    I have another idea that will literally be worth millions. That's just for the patent.

300 watt is not enough for what your doing. I recommend at least a 750 watt unit and a good tip is that when you seal........have it set pretty high and hold the sealer down for several seconds after the sealer turns off to set teh seal in place. Firm pressure is needed to complete the seal. Good luck to you.

Wayne
    Ouch, I see the problem!!! Yes, I am definitely holding the pressure for long enough time after the sealer have turned off, but still most of the straws are leaking. We even "tuned-up" the sealer to have a longer sealing time than default max. time - still without a luck. So now I see where is the main problem - not enough sealing power! Thank you very much for the advice!

By the way - how much that 750 W sealer costs in USA? If I won't be able to get one in Europe, I will have to buy one from USA, and maybe even together with your system. Thanks!

I have the sealer i recommend for sale on my site www.honeystickmachine.com i wish you luck in your endeavor and if you have any questions dont hesitate to pm me on here.

Hello, everyone!
    Question regarding honey sticks! We have managed to tune our impulse sealer to get those straws sealed without leaking. Now the question is - how do you trim them so that straws are easy to open without scissors? You should be able to pop the straw opened just with a slight pressure with fingers or by a bite with teeth. If you don't trim the straw, it is almost impossible to open it with teeth or fingers. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Who owns one of these??
    This thread is an old ghost from 2012

If it does work I'd like to see a you-tube

Thanks

TommyT - owns what?
    Yes, thread is old, but issues and questions still important! And it looks like there is still only few (1-2?) companies in the world (and I don't mean China) who has managed to solve this tricky straw filling / sealing / trimming task. If you have any advice, I'd be glad to hear! I am from Europe, so I won't be a competitor on your local market in USA. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by cerezha View Post
    I do not understand. I could patent anything if it was not patented before - I just need to pay $20K (more?)
    This is simply not true.
    In order to be patentable, the idea has to be novel (new), and not 'obvious for someone skilled in the art'.
    All the patent does is give you the right to sue someone for violating it...then the fun begins.
    When I was working on a patent (for a new mechanism for the saxophone) it was before some of the biotech patenting took off, but something like 2/3 of the patents that had been awarded and challenged (meaning the patent was violated and the owner sued) were found to be unpatentable in court.
    In some fields $20k is about right, but in many fields one need not spend so much...it really depends on what you are going to do with the patent (use it and defend it, or sell it to a very large company and let them defend it with their team of lawyers).
    In my case, I got reasonably far into the process (I did the patent search myself,which required me to go to Albany to physically look through volumes of patents...this saved me money, and I doubt you would have to go to a physical library to do that today), it helped get me a job, and I decided that if anyone was going to violate the patent, it would likely be Yamaha, and they were unlikely to buy my patent, and I would be unlikely to match their lawyer power.
    One of the most interesting modern patents was the intermittent windshield wiper...everyone violated it because they didn't consider it patentable, but the courts disagreed, and the owner made out like a bandit!

deknow
    The perils of benefactors; The blessings of parasites; Blindness blindness and sight -Joni Mitchell 'Shadows and Light'

Quote Originally Posted by tommyt View Post
    who owns one of these??
    This thread is an old ghost from 2012

if it does work i'd like to see a you-tube

thanks

anyone !!!!!!

I read a book by the guy who came up with the "Pet Rock". His summation of a patent... An invitation to a law suit.

Quote Originally Posted by tommyt View Post
    anyone !!!!!!
    I have posted a YouTube video of my machine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfgXUiE2fmg