Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default John & Wayne's Honey Stick device

http://www.johnwaynehoney.com/sticks.html

While the "manifold" may be food grade I'm wondering about the squeeze pump.

It looks like an interesting project but...
    BeeCurious
    Trying to think inside the box...

Default Re: John & Wayne's Honey Stick device

Why dont you PM and ask me how I test and develop my device? I have been in development for 5 years, tested and have made over 15 thousand honey sticks with my device. Buy it and take it to your state health dept and if they say no-go then i will refund your money. Do you treat your hives? I don't cause i dont want all those chemicals in my honey. I wont process my sticks with anything that would be bad either. I've passed all through my state.
    Last edited by Flewster; 12-10-2012 at 07:19 PM.

Flewster; I'm not sure that BC was "bad mouthing" you. More like expressing some curiosity mixed with possibly some minor misgivings. If you have all the effort into the project you say, then I suppose it's natural to be a bit defensive, or maybe protective is a better word. Whatever his position is, a more positive response would be in your best interest.

Quote Originally Posted by dirt road View Post
    Flewster; I'm not sure that BC was "bad mouthing" you. More like expressing some curiosity mixed with possibly some minor misgivings. If you have all the effort into the project you say, then I suppose it's natural to be a bit defensive, or maybe protective is a better word. Whatever his position is, a more positive response would be in your best interest.
    Your right. Maybe I am a little protective of what I have done. Going through the patent process as we speak and that is at least a $5000 ordeal. I am just trying to offer a easy to use cost competitive product to my fellow beeks. I know what is in my machine. If you want to know just PM me. I have jumped through hoops, goals, and fire rings to get this down to a workable product. Is it perfect? NO. It is not a spit and polished project. But it works. I know it works and I am trying to offer another solution to you guys and gals. I think the price is fair for what it is. One season of selling sticks and you pay for it. and they make perfect samples for your honey when you sell to the public. Cut it in half and hand it to customer and 9 out of 10 times they buy a jar of honey.........and a bunch of sticks.......I am sorry if I came off too harsh. If you could see the comments people have made in private....makes me wonder if this site was the best place to first market the John & Wayne Honey, Honey Stick Machine. And I thought my mother in law was harsh on me.
    You have to stop and smell the roses......but please watch out for my bees.
    www.johnwaynehoney.com

Your right, I'm not interested in buying one

And I think you're right to discuss the device in private.
    Last edited by BeeCurious; 12-10-2012 at 11:16 PM. Reason: Typo
    BeeCurious

Well, it is posted in "Equipment/Hardware Review", which means, it is expected to be reviewed and, yes, criticized if necessary. It is strange that device for food does not require the certification. It uses the heat, it means that all plastic parts would release more plastifier than at room temperature. Squeeze pump look very suspicious - I am using similar one to pump gasoline to the boat outboard engine. I apologize for review, nothing personal, just a potential customer...
    Серёжа, Sergey

Quote Originally Posted by cerezha View Post
    Well, it is posted in "Equipment/Hardware Review", which means, it is expected to be reviewed and, yes, criticized if necessary. It is strange that device for food does not require the certification. It uses the heat, it means that all plastic parts would release more plastifier than at room temperature. Squeeze pump look very suspicious - I am using similar one to pump gasoline to the boat outboard engine. I apologize for review, nothing personal, just a potential customer...

I understand you questions and of course I had those same questions. In KS we have to have our honey processing facilities inspected by the state. They come at least once a year and we pay them our dollars they wave their magic food safety wand and we are once again given permission to continue to make food products for our customers. We have had this device in our processing facility for each of the last five years. It has been looked at and approved by KS state food kitchen inspectors for use in processing honey sticks. I am not sure what more I can say about my machine. I hope that you all have a good day.
    www.johnwaynehoney.com

Those of you bringing up food safety with plastic materials should consider ordinary PVC and CPVC water pipe. It is obviously carrying food for human consumption, and in the cases of CPVC pipe, rated for use with hot water.

The PVC pipe is not rated for hot water, but that is because of pressure concerns, not food safety. Ordinary PVC (cold water use) is used everywhere. Even if you don't have it in your building, it is almost certainly in use somewhere in virtually every municipal water system in the country.
    ultracrepidarian >> noting or pertaining to a person who criticizes, judges, or gives advice outside of his expertise

Flewster, congrats on the elegant simplicity of your design. The pump is not frightening at all as I am very comfortable with a turkey baster, zip lock bags, ketchup bottles, all manner of plastic storage and food preparation devices. In use, the warm honey is only briefly in the squeeze bulb.

All in all, a nice quiet device for cottage industry packaging of one's own honey for convenient customer enjoyment.
    Roger

Quote Originally Posted by RogerCrum View Post
    Flewster, congrats on the elegant simplicity of your design. The pump is not frightening at all as I am very comfortable with a turkey baster, zip lock bags, ketchup bottles, all manner of plastic storage and food preparation devices. In use, the warm honey is only briefly in the squeeze bulb.

All in all, a nice quiet device for cottage industry packaging of one's own honey for convenient customer enjoyment.
    Roger
    Thank you. I guess you said it better than i could. I looked all over my ketchup packet i got from wendys and nowhere is there a certification for use with food. Thank you for your kind comments

Wayne

So, is the pump approved by itself a food grade pump, or is it that you've been using it in your facility and KS Health didn't say anything about it?

Quote Originally Posted by Brandy View Post
    So, is the pump approved by itself a food grade pump, or is it that you've been using it in your facility and KS Health didn't say anything about it?
    Great question. Answer is BOTH.
    www.johnwaynehoney.com

I really wish my bee club would buy your machine. There are always requests for the club to speak at various places like the game farm, library, school ... This machine would be such a draw. Think of the group of kids watching those honey sticks being filled-especially at county fairs.

It is patent pending thank you very much. A machine does not have to be power driven to get a patent.
    Last edited by Barry; 02-06-2014 at 08:20 AM. Reason: remove quote

Quote Originally Posted by Flewster View Post
    A machine does not have to be power driven to get a patent.
    Indeed.

Here is a story about a relatively recently (2005) patented wrench fighting a competitor:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/09/bu...anted=all&_r=0

The popular Vise-Grip wrench was first patented in 1921.

Image linked from, and more on the history of this tool here:
    http://www.livinghistoryfarm.org/far...chines_12.html
    ultracrepidarian >> noting or pertaining to a person who criticizes, judges, or gives advice outside of his expertise

I wish to thank all the people who have kept an open mind on my machine. There are those that find it necessary to nit pick and say things they have no clue about. I have to wonder their motive. Are they jealous of what i have made? Maybe they wish they were talented enough to design, research, patent and build one themselves. Or maybe they are just pot stirrers. Whatever their motive it will not deter me from offering the small beek the opportunity to get out from the large corp and make their own sticks with their own honey. With an easy to operate device that will pay for itself in one season. Only two people have called and talked to me personally. Two more have pm'ed me and asked what they wanted to know. All good inventions were criticized and i wont be deterred. Thank you to my fellow beeks who understand and appreciate an inventor.
    www.johnwaynehoney.com

Are you getting a patent on the hot plate?

How about the $29 impulse sealer?

Squeezing honey into a straw isn't novel enough to warrant a patent. And there is prior art of your exact arrangement...
    BeeCurious

Flewster,

Don't let these guys rattle your cage. Whatever the reason there will always be some who have something to say. Keep up your work, make improvements if you can or want to. I wonder how many would be here on beesource if Langstroth had listen to all the negative coments in his day.

Anyway, we are out of work right now, but when it picks up I would like one of your machines.
    Beeman
    All things may be lawful; but not all things are advantagous.

Quote Originally Posted by BeeCurious View Post
    Gosh, give the guy a break. He came up with a prototype that works. How many similar devices on beesource have you seen since 2007? I've been here a good number of years and haven't seen many functional honey straw devices brought forward.

Flewster,

Thanks for having the willingness to throw your ideas into our forum!

Quote Originally Posted by BeeCurious View Post

How about the $29 impulse sealer?

Squeezing honey into a straw isn't novel enough to warrant a patent. And there is prior art of your exact arrangement...

No wonder you havent came up with a better idea. Your trying to use a cheap $29 sealer and not a quality sealer from the leader in impulse sealers, such as i use and send with my machine.
    www.johnwaynehoney.com