Thread: Hive Alive

Default Hive Alive

Anyone tried this stuff? I see it has popped up in brushy mountains catalog, with HBH and other supplements. I can't find the ingredients accept for thymol. Sounds like something else to sell. just curious.
    All beekeepers can agree on one thing, and that one thing is, that all beekeepers can't agree on one thing.

Default Re: Hive Alive

I have not tried HiveAlive, but here is the manufacturer's site:

http://www.advancescience.com/scienc...port-hivealive
    My opinion is that as they are using thymol studies to support the value of HiveAlive, either it is pretty much thymol in a branded bottle, or else the studies simply don't apply to HiveAlive. You can't have it both ways.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Thanks Rader you petty much summed up my thoughts. Been to thier site and looked around the web. Not much to be said other than that.
    All beekeepers can agree on one thing, and that one thing is, that all beekeepers can't agree on one thing.

Hi Rader and Beehonest,

My name is Linda and I am R&D Officer with Advance Science (the company who makes HiveAlive). I just joined this forum and came across this thread. Please note, we have since updated our website so I would encourage you to check it out again. http://www.advancescience.com/hive-a...ting-hivealive. As far as I am aware, HiveAlive is the only product on the market to show significant long-term benefits. Recent independent field-trials carried out show a 89% increase in colony population with continued use. Thymol is one of the ingredients in this product but we also include a blend of MacroAlgae among other ingredients. Tests carried out have shown that addition of MacroAlgae boosts the effectiveness of this product. See http://www.advancescience.com/images...n%20Trials.pdf for more information.

Hope this answers some of your questions and if you would like any more information, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Linda

Quote Originally Posted by HiveAlive View Post
    Recent independent field-trials carried out show a 89% increase in colony population with continued use.
    Do those tests include a control group that was not given HiveAlive, and what percentage increase did that control group have?
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Hi Rader,

Yes there was a control group. Control group was fed the same amount of sugar syrup as the HiveAlive group. The difference being that the HiveAlive group had 2.5ml HiveAlive added per litre syrup whereas the control group did not. Percentage increase was calculated relative
    to the control. For example at the end of the trial the estimated colony population for the control group was 7,763 and the HiveAlive group was
    14,674. This is a 89.79% increase compared to control.
    See graph here for figures
    http://www.advancescience.com/images...014-final2.png

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Linda

I have a couple of questions about this product. First, I found the synopsies of the thymol studies intriguing but have no way of actually comparing them to your product. I cannot access the peer reviewed papers nor can I actually find nominal concentrations of thymol in your prouduct (I understand it is proprietary but that does me no good for determining true efficacy). Second, while the macroalgae studies sound promising, have you done studies comparing them to basic pond water? It is fairly common beekeeping lore that bees love the smelliest body of water they can find. In urban areas this may mean a swimming pool, but in truly rural setting this will inevitably lead them to very green ponds, slow streams, etc. Was this fact a factor in the initial inquiries? Have any studies been conducted that might lead you to believe this is the reason foraging bees are drawn to these fetid bodies of water? What does this macroalgae provide the bees that must be lacking in their typical diet?
    Thank you in advance for you response.