Thread: Queens

Default Queens

Is there anyone who is selling Queens this late in the year ?

Phil in Oregon

Default Re: Queens

Maybe someone in Florida or Hawaii?

Having them available and being able to safely ship them in December are two very different issues.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

If you want to drive to SF area we still have some in the banks and Mating nucs. As per shipping them this time of year. 4-get-it. Try Hawaii on Monday after you rob a bank. Bet it'll cost you 50 -60 bucks to get one queen.

yes; Harvey in Florida. I just got 5 from him last week. I checked yesterday and three were out of cages and laying. I will check on the other two tomorrow. I will be getting several more from him soon. You can find him here on Beesource. His prices are great and he is planning on going for queens all year long. Finally, we have someone not in Hawaii who can do this. He is done by Miami.
    Quote Originally Posted by puppy View Post
    Is there anyone who is selling Queens this late in the year ?

Phil in Oregon

Hey Phil, why are you looking for queens right now? Trying to save a queenless hive? If so, up here on the OR/WA border, I would recommend just shaking it out and saving the comb and honey for a re-start in the spring.

You are quite a bit south of me, and requeening might be viable, I would be interested to hear about success you've had in your area?

Andrew

Had very bad success with Nuc's. That and cost issues. I have a problem paying over $100. for a Nuc plus shipping. Had 3 Nucs (my bad they were three "packages")that I picked up from Portland, they all died within a month.
    I feel much better gathering a local swarm or find a hive that needs re-homing.

I know its not the best time of year for normal swarm gathering, but the bees are very mellow when its cool and are not out foraging. They may need help through January and March.

The one we just collected appeared well settled after 2 years+ in a garage wall, but only gathered maybe 3-5k of bees and no queen was obvious, not even queen cells. This late I would expected more bees and a queen.
    Has about 50+ lbs of Comb and Honey that were also saved. This afternoon temps were in the 60's in our valley and the bees were out of all 3 hives we currently have (including the new one) Am hoping they will cleanup the mess I made of their foundation re-homing it into a Super.
    Last edited by puppy; 12-09-2012 at 11:45 PM.

Wow - you are warmer than us that's for sure! I agree with the nucs and packages - I finally built up enough this year that I bought a couple queens and made an increase from 2 hives and 2 nucs last spring, to 11 hives and 8 nucs going into the winter. I've done it mostly with swarm collection and splits, as well as a couple trap-outs. I plan on (hopefully) never buying bees again. After 2 years of spreading the word, I'm becoming " the swarm guy" in my area!

Good luck in your queen quest!

This juster bees in Florida.Tele: 870 243 1596 Try them.
    A vet is someone at some time in there life signed a blank check to the people of America that included there life.