Default DNA methylation in honey bees

Epigenetics of Host–Pathogen Interactions: The Road Ahead and the Road Behind
    The Amplification of Inter-Methylated Sites (AIMS) [80] is based on the differential enzymatic digestion of genomic DNA with methylation-sensitive and -insensitive isoschizomers (SmaI/XmaI) followed by the ligation of specific adapters and the amplification by PCR of the methylated sequences. Amplicons are resolved in denaturing polyacrylamide-sequencing gels, resulting in readable fingerprints that represent the organismal cell's DNA methylation profile. It has been widely applied to study DNA methylation in cancer [81], and more recently, to the discovery of DNA methylation in a social insect (Apis mellifera) [82].
    http://www.plospathogens.org/article..._utmk=62485295
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

Default Re: DNA methylation in honey bees

I am just curious. . .

How many people on here can actually read and understand the paragraph posted above?

If you think anything organic is good for you, go drink some organic solvents.
    geek, learning how to be a beek

Given the fact that it was first posted a day and a half ago and yours was the first comment I'm going to guess its a really, really low number.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Maybe the OP was hoping someone who does know this stuff could bring it down to our level.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Was that a request or a theory?

I would happily do it.
    If you think anything organic is good for you, go drink some organic solvents.
    geek, learning how to be a beek

Whoops, wrong paper, I thought this was the one they talked about in ABJ on how reverting foragers back to nurses changed their DNA, the paper started in this thread is a different one.

The envoirnment causes changes in the DNA that last the lifetime of the bee, those changes can be undone by reverting the foragers back to nurses, they found that the changes are in the methylation of some of the genes that control transcription and differentiation. This is the first time the "Ghost in the Machine" has been reversed causing a change in behavior. Very cool for bees that they provided such an interesting model. On the other hand, I bet 100 pounds of honey they thought they would find the bigger differences in the methylation differences between queens and workers but in fact found no differences. Possibly some human diseases can be triggered by the envioronment, and if doctors could find a way to reverse those changes help people. So not only do bees help feed us, now they can give us a model to study how the Ghost affects humans. Thats at least what I got out of it.

WVMJ
    Last edited by WVMJ; 12-10-2012 at 07:58 AM.
    Meadmaking with WVMJ at Meads and Elderberry Winemaking