Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Default Re: first attempt at queenrearing

wishing you success with your goals dan!

much depends on the weather, hopefully it won't be too weird.
    journaling the growth of a treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

As for the thermostat, I've recently done a project with a Ranco ETC-111000-000. A little more expensive than some other options, but it has an adjustable differential (how many degrees swing does it allow before it turns on or off), a temp probe on the end of a long wire, and plenty of wiring options...I wired mine to wall current, and through it, I run a 120vac electric oil filled "radiator" type heater. You can also run it on 12V and/or run a 12V element. It will also do cooling. You need to do some wiring (it has terminal blocks with screws), or find someone that can do that for you (don't screw around with wall current).

Quote Originally Posted by deknow View Post
    You can also run it on 12V
    Dean, the specs I saw on this indicate 120/208/240 VAC. If it can operate on 12VDC without a power inverter...it might have some possibilities.....
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

Quote Originally Posted by beemandan View Post
    Dean, the specs I saw on this indicate 120/208/240 VAC. If it can operate on 12VDC without a power inverter...it might have some possibilities.....
    Sorry, my mistake. They appear to make a separate model that will run 24VAC, but no 12V...and not on this unit.

As the "output" is simply a relay, you could run anything (within reason) through it (including a separate 12v line from the car battery), and I can't imagine you'd need much of an inverter to simply run the computer and relay. You could rig a fan to the cooling end of the thermostat.

deknow

I bought two controllers. I will see if I can find the information on them. The Ranco above is very likely higher quality but the ones I got are much lower price. Pick your poison. I am able to keep a close constant watch on my stuff so if things fail it is more tolerable. if you are going to be away. quality is of more value. My controllers also must be wired and programed. the programming is a bti confusing because the controller does a lot of things the average person would not think needs to be done. such as the differential deknow mentions. Note a longer delay or larger swing in temp saves your heating element. Some heat sources can only be turned on and off every so often. so it can be an equipment saver. Light bulbs is cheap but do cause some problems. they get to hot on Styrofoam for example. Are prone to burning out when they going on and off to often etc. I love the temp controller because I can set one up for say 94 degrees and one fore 93 degrees and the second does not operate unless the first one fails. Hot water thermostats are not so accurate. Again pick your poison.

Here is the controller I bought
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/110V-10A-Min...item2c6ab162dc

At any rate I highly suggest a temp controller over a thermostat.
    Stand for what you believe, even if you stand alone.

Quote Originally Posted by squarepeg View Post
    wishing you success with your goals dan!

much depends on the weather, hopefully it won't be too weird.
    Hee Hee, If it where easy I would probably not be interested.

This is the controller with a 12 V DC option.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Automatic-Di...item25716f4675

my mating nuc yard will be about a 10 minute drive from my builder/finisher. how long is 'too long' for the cells to be out of the hive before placing them in the nuc?
    We've done a lot of transfer of cells in this area. I have found a Styrofoam vial holder inside a small foam cooler a good transfer method, but a tissue in a coffee cup also works. Travel time from 5 minute to an hour and a good take rate from cells moved in this manner.

A good story though... One time friends came over transporting cells from a breeder I had lent them - they had an hours drive to me and when they opened the back of the van we had virgins emerging- and it was a good thing that those cells had been put into some sort of queen cage for their ride... I named them all "Driveway" as we were transferring them all just sitting in the driveway - but to be honest, they knew that their timing might have been a day or two off and that some cells were ready to emerge. usually emergence during short travel should not be a problem.
    And guess what- I got more virgin queens I had planned on and just ripped frames from every which colony I had- threw together mating nucs all in the same yard not caring who flew back to where... and all in a lovely 95 degree Virginia summer afternoon.... They all mated and survived so far.
    karla

yep. hmm.....

first grafts attempted today, got my fingers crossed!

first grafts attempted today, got my fingers crossed!
    We want to see pictures! I have confidence in you squarepeg.
    LeeB
    I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up :)

thanks a lot lee! i have been meaning to get a camera for the beeyard........

SQUAREPEG!
    I just found this in your starter hive!

Wait a minute....That was in MY starter.

Welcome to the club Lauri. I'm good for a few of those myself each year. A word of warning, though, the damage may not be over yet. There is often a "ripple effect" as I have seen where some of those virgins may escape into nearby finishers. Monitor any neighboring hives closely.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

many thanks for the replies!

uh oh, someone got out of their 'cell' and did some damage...

How many folks use a type of queen excluder on the entrances of starter/finishers to prevent rogue virgins? And if so, what are the pros and cons? I imagine you trap drones inside the colonies...
    karla

Quote Originally Posted by JRG13 View Post
    uh oh, someone got out of their 'cell' and did some damage...
    She is the only queen I have ever named...'Fang' is written on her mating nuc

Sorry to see that Laurie. I think I would have had a lot more colorful names for that queen myself.

15 out of 19 accepted! some getting more attention than others.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast