Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Default Re: first attempt at queenrearing

Just scroll down to posts made a few days ago. You'll see the photos there. Click on each photo for more details.

'I'm not sure where the myth about newly emerging virgin queens not being able to fly, originated.'

The other morning I walked by my incubator in the kitchen to get my coffee and something big flew right by my face. I got my coffee and sat down to take out the cells that had hatched over night and mark the virgins. As I was preparing to do that, I big fat virgin landed right next to me on the counter! What the...??? Yup, she hatched that night, pushed her way past the JZBZ cup that was sitting on top the roller cage, got out of the incubator through the fan grid and was flying around the kitchen! I guess she oriented to the incubator. I was still a little blurry eyed and really couldn't believe what had happened. When I looked sure enough, there was a roller cage and hatched JZBZ cell with no queen in it.
    So yeah, they can fly all right.
    And ready to make their break whenever possible.

The newly hatched virgins are usually a little confused, blurry eyed like I was, and slower moving. Give them a few hours and they are runny and stronger. A virgin that has just hatched, direct released on a frame will be submissive to the bees that come to investigate her. Sometimes She'll curl up or lay on her side a bit like she is frightened.

A 12+ hour old virgin will strut right out like she owns the frame.

As always, This has just been my experience...

I picked up a frame the other day that had a queen cell on it, she hatched in front of my face flew across my bee yard and into another open hive.

Laurie's story reminds me of the day a queen and a drone were doing their thing and landed on my ear before falling to the ground. A week later another pair landed right in front of me not 5 feet from the same place. Now, that's gotta be a DCA!

update:

four out of six cells place in mating nucs are now big fat queens laying perfect patterns, with the other two most likely victims of predatory birds and/or dragonflies.

no word on the five virgins that i gave away to club members to try.
    journaling the growth of a treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

three out of those four are now heading the strongest and heaviest hives in my production yard.

the fourth one swarmed out of a five frame nuc this summer and her replacement didn't make it.

still no word on the virgins that i gave away.
    journaling the growth of a treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456