Thread: Nicot systen

Default Nicot systen

I just saw the post on needing help withe the Jenter system and didnt want to hijack his post.I purchased a Nicot system years ago and never had any luck with it at all.The queen would never lay in it.I had ask lots of questions on it and got suggestions but nothing ever worked not the first egg.I still have it but never have used it since back then.I was wondering what everyone who uses one of these does to get her to lay in it.

Default Re: Nicot systen

They need to get it broken in. I always put it right in the middle of the brood nest between two frames of open brood for a few days to a few weeks with the cage off. Often the queen will lay in it before you confine her if you do that. Then a few days with the cage on. Confine the queen and again put it between two frames of open brood (those may have changed by now as the ones you were between before may be capped). Check in 24 hours. If she hasn't laid, keep checking ever 24 hours.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I have tried that.Also was told to spray with sugar syrup or honey and let them clean everything up but that didnt help either.But I have always been known to be the unluckiest guy around so that may be my problem.

The instructions say to leave it in hive for 24 hrs so the bees can clean it. This did not work for me, so I left it in for 48 hrs, and the queen used about every cell. I believe a new one must be left for at least 48 hrs for cleaning, and after that it only takes 24 hrs of cleaning. At least this worked for me.

Location and timing is everything. Putting it between open brood is the location. Timing should be when there are drones flying. Before that I have never had a lot of luck getting them to raise queens. If the queen is laying well when you confine her, she should not be able to help herself. She will have to lay...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Tried all of those with no luck at all.I was just looking for answers that would help someone else that wants to use this method.