Thread: hfcs ok or not

Default hfcs ok or not

hello all just wanting some info on hfcs we have feed sugar but our source dried up how well is the suryp and what are the side affects to the bees please help me make my choice as we are feeding sugar from sams as of now way to expensive

Default Re: hfcs ok or not

I don't feed as much as some of these guys here but, I used three barrels of hfcs55 over the past year and I can't really tell any difference in how the bees look versus sugar syrup. I really like the convenience of the hfcs it is so much easier then mixing sugar and water.

Way more expensive if you do not feed. Bees develop better when fed. That cost is more than offset by the increase in production. Either HFCS or sucrose is fine.

Jean-Marc

I've been told that sucrose is better if your wanting to make bees and fructose is better if you want the bees to store it.

I build bees on both but prefer fructose. If your building bees you need to think more about sub not syrup.

My understanding is that the lactic acid bacteria, which is beneficial to the bees, grows better in fructose than sucrose.

chart from here.