Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Is it too late??? Need advise, please.

i shook out my first lw hive last summer. i figured what few bees were still left were so old that they wouldn't be a whole lot of good anyway. that those frames of comb and stores sure came in handy to help out a late swarm that i caught!
    journaling the growth of a treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

Quote Originally Posted by Lburou View Post
    And that BIG problem would be........?
    The Laying Worker hive - so, I could see the number of worker bees declining and the LW was only making drones. With no queen & fewer and fewer worker bees, this created the perfect environment for Wax Moth to have a field day in that hive. I started pulling frames to see just how bad it is - it's a mess. Makes me want to puke. So, pulled our nearly every frame in the hive & cleaned the bottom board. I'll clean them up if I'm able to, and toss out the rest. My plan is to put the Nuc in this hive and see if they can get it going again. I know there's a lot of risk in that also, with the LW and her little workers possibly balling and killing the new queen, but my hope is that the Nuc and be strong enough to get established and finish cleaning up and maintaining the hive. I may be dreaming, but that's the plan. Still, I think the odds are against the Nuc. Anyone have any better ideas?

It might be an unnecessary risk, IMO you already saved the laying worker hive by starting the nuc.
    But if you want to try it anyway, I'd put a double screen between the two hives & stack them together. They both need their own entrance.
    That would give them more time to adjust to the new queen before doing a newspaper combine.
    Might help.
    Dan

I agree w/ Dan. An unnecessary risk. I'd shake them out, freeze the frames then you can reuse them. Freezing the frames will kill ALL stages of wax moths. give it a day or two in a deep freezer and they're good to go. YOu can pull whatever webbing off you care to get to but I think if it's not too bad the bees will clean it up and repair things.