Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Honey crystallization....

6K views 14 replies 14 participants last post by  Dan. NY 
#1 ·
I am new to bee keeping this year and recently harvested my first honey of 5 medium frames from my strongest hive, they do have two deep brood supers with enough stores to keep them through winter but just finished two candy boards to add to the hives. This honey was bottled on Nov. 23, 2012 and is very light in color almost a white/yellow and i got approx: 11.5 lbs on honey from the 5 medium frames. the problem is it has crystallized already, my research shows that a light colored honey will do this fairly quickly, any suggestions or guidance will be appreciated. I believe the honey is white clover and golden rod. Thanks........

#4 ·
Put it in a pot of water and set it to low heat. Make sure the lid is off or partially opened. Over time when the water starts to simmer or boil stir the honey a little and keep doing so til it liquifies. That's what i did and mine is still liquified and its been a few weeks.

#8 ·
If your honey is in glass, put it in the oven at 120 for a couple of hours. no danger of getting moisture in it. Loosen the lid to keep pressure from building up in the jar.

Moisture in Honey does not cause it to crystallize but it will lead to fermentation is the moisture content is much over 18%.

#11 · (Edited)
There's lots of fall threads and posts on crystalization and search function is easy to use!

Honey should not be microwaved or heated above 104F, as if my memory is correct, enzymes are destroyed, loss of the delicate flavor&aroma, darkening the color, and loss of nutritional value. A water bath with heat on very low c/w thermometer or a honey chamber as simple as a kitchen oven/old deep freeze/old fridge/insulated wood box, light bulbs and a thermostat work very well to liquefy small quantities.

Recommended max temperature of honey is 95-104F.

#15 ·
My fall honey started crystalizing quickly after harvest and I just let it. My suggestion: Use it that way! Bake yourself a few loaves of Christmas nut roll. A rubber spatula can scrape a jar fairly clean. Scrape the crystalized honey on the bread roll to hold the nut mixture in place. Very very good stuff.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.