Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Good beginners beermaking book

Barry, I was thinking about how a person that does bees and makes beer just has so much stuff as I was cleaning kegs and bottles the past couple days. Milk crates sound smart but that would be even more "stuff." Another advantage of the milk crates would be so you don't clink the carboys together and crack them. I learned the hard way on that. I think that I have broken one or maybe it was two. ? I have developed a sort of finesse with slinging the carboys around on the wet floor in the basement at this point keeping them just far enough away from each other that there is not a problem. I like the glass because I can see that it is clean and know that nothing is seeping in or out of it.

On the carboy handle subject in Homebrewing Volume 1. Al Korzonas says, I've read in many places that you should not lift full carboys by the handle (that you should lift them from the bottom) but I have yet to have a mishap, even with the full carboys.

I have been lifting them full with the handles for years without an issue myself but I suppose the glass could crack. If there is a possibility of something happening it seems eventually it does. I had a wet carboy slip out of my hand once and so I won't go without carboy handles now.

I am enjoying the link that Darb posted http://www.howtobrew.com/

What meat are you working on Vance? Smoked meat and Mead sounds delicious. It's too bad I don't live closer I could bring over plenty of beer and just lend you the Charlie Papazian book.

This Brewery is not too far from us and they have fun concerts in the summer. The beer is great.
    The video goes over the beer fermentation process.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhu0sMkox1U
    Last edited by virginiawolf; 11-10-2013 at 12:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by virginiawolf View Post
    This Brewery is not too far from us and they have fun concerts in the summer. The beer is great.
    If Flying Dog isn't too far, plan a trip to Rehoboth Beach, Delaware and visit Dogfish Head. It's actually in Milton, but their brew pub is in Rehoboth Beach. My most favorite beer, outside of my own.
    Regards, Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Vance G View Post
    No Mike I didn't. My hobbies overrun me! Been cooking various things and I bottled up enough mead to make me question my sanity this week. The beermaking is on the back burner. I just bought the book Charcuterie which is frog for smoking and curing meat I think. I was out scouting to get something to cure yesterday. Tuesday I make meat after the critters settle down from being hunted on the weekend. Only five and a half months til dandelions!
    PM me your address again and I'll send you a copy. Can't let you run out of projects you'll get yourself into trouble
    "Wine is a constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy" Ben Franklin

I keep trying to get in trouble but I am too old to catch any!

Barry, I am a big fan of Dogfish Head as well. Several years ago I was down at a wedding in Ocean City and the morning of I raced over to Milton and went on the first tour of the day at the brewery. It was stellar. When I went to buy the book Extreme Brewing the one man in the tour area went into the back and got me an autographed copy. They were a great bunch and the brewery was phenomenal. They were just beginning to expand the brewery at the time but it was still big back then. They had giant wooden fermenters and delicious beer on tap. Your suggestion is appreciated. When I walked in to the brewery it was miraculous to be among all the hops and grain in the front part of the warehouse. I felt right at home at Dogfish Head.
    Bottling only went so smooth today but everything tasted really good. I was bottling 2 different batches of beer and some braggot and as I was cleaning up I said to myself...." I have never smelled anything so good in my entire life." Between the 2 batches there must have been 10 different varieties of hops. Some of them were my homegrown ones and then having the honey in there mixed in with some of it sent a delicious aroma into the area and on to me. I am looking forward to this stuff on tap and in the bottles. When I went to snap a picture of a couple bottles the cat came over to smell them

Dogfish Token and 11 10 13 Just Bottled Braggot Big and Small and IPA with cat smelling the bott.jpg

I don't lift a handled carboy when full, though I have in the past many many times. Just figured as my carboys pass the two decade mark they might be a little less resilient . I use neoprene carboy jackets that have a webbing strap handle... they're sturdy for lifting, you can tuck gel packs in for temp control, and protect the beer from light.
    Bees, brews and fun
    in Lyons, CO

Quote Originally Posted by mike haney View Post
    PM me your address again and I'll send you a copy. Can't let you run out of projects you'll get yourself into trouble
    Book is on its way via USPS
    sorry to find it was not a first edition as I thought but a third
    Had it a while and forgot.
    "Wine is a constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy" Ben Franklin

I appreciate the kindness Mike

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12