Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Good beginners beermaking book

I have a bunch of mead in the aging process and want something that is ready to drink before my wake and would like to make some beer. Would anyone recommend a good inexpensive book for someone who want to make an occaisonal batch.

Default Re: Good beginners beermaking book

Regards, Barry

Radical Homebrewing -Randy Mosher
    www.autonomyacres.com Discussions on Urban Homesteading

If you like extreme beers like I do, this is a great book!

Extreme Brewing

AA, looks like I'll have to pick up Randy Mosher's book.
    Regards, Barry

It is a really fun read. Not only are there a bunch of great recipes, it is fun to look through and is filled with a ton of history and cool ideas!
    www.autonomyacres.com Discussions on Urban Homesteading

I've started brewing and I didn't need the book at all because I live about 20 mins away from a northern brewer store. I buy their kits which have all the instructions you need+ their startup kit had a step by step brewing DVD that made it really easy for me.

I think the books are good for when you want to expand your experience by just making your own- but the preprepared kits you can buy nowadays are all fairly cheap and all make good beer. The site has user reviews on each kit as well so you can learn even more info and modifications.

+ whenever I get confused I just ask the storepeople what to do. + they have $15 classes that teach you beermaking.

Books are good, but if you have a good brew supply store near you, its far easier to get a kit first.

Homebrewing for Dummies is pretty good to get you started. The Complete Joy of Homebrewing is a very good book as well. My favourite beginner's book is How to Brew by Palmer. With the last book, I like the way you get a lot of detailed information on how different components work together (malt, hops, yeast, water) - then you get into your first brew - but you're going to learn a lot and have a good understanding of what you're doing instead of just trudging through the steps. He even has his book online: http://www.howtobrew.com/intro.html

This thread reminds me that it's time to go brew some beer!

Skip the paper versions.

howtobrew.com by Mike Palmer is a great site that has everything you'd need to know (and then some), laid out very clearly. It's the first edition of his printed book, and is highly recommended.

Charlie Papazian's New Complete Joy Of Homebrewing is the book that started it all, and it remains one of the most accessible and fun books for the beginner to intermediate brewer IMO. John Palmer's How To Brew is also excellent, with a little more "meat" for those wishing to further explore advanced chemistry, equipment fabrication, etc. Also very important is to connect with your local homebrew shop and club!
    Bees, brews and fun
    in Lyons, CO

The local homebrew shop is an unmitigated empty disaster! I order on line or stock up when i go see grandkids 220 miles away. Thanks for all the suggestions. This whole homebrew routine is just an adult chemistry set anyway.

Sorry to hear that! Well, you can always (and glad you do!) bring questions here, we like that better anyways so we all can learn!
    Bees, brews and fun
    in Lyons, CO

Speaking of Beer, does anyone make distilled spirits from Mead? A guy who makes grape wine gave me some distilled alchohol which he made from his wine.
    Mark Berninghausen #youmatter

It is on my bucket list. I have the plans, the empty keg, all I need is a serious investment in copper plumbing parts and the combo pot/reflux still will be taking up space I don't have in my shop~! I look forward to using it on batches of old chokecherry wine gone to sherry and a case of fine wine I forgot and the corks dried out and it oxydized. Think of all the space I can reclaim.

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    Speaking of Beer, does anyone make distilled spirits from Mead? A guy who makes grape wine gave me some distilled alchohol which he made from his wine.
    I tasted that 'grappa' (very good - perhaps outstanding) and I wonder if it were not made from "Must" (what remains after the wine is fermented) - maybe - maybe not. Yea... if you distill a wine you get a brandy - that was definitely a "Grappa".

I'm sure you can distill mead, as long as you are careful... wonder what it would taste like? Surely it has been done, and I suspect the results were disappointing.
    Last edited by hpm08161947; 12-08-2012 at 01:32 PM.
    “Don’t tell me how educated you are, tell me how much you have travelled.” - The Quran

Papazian is awesome if you are looking for a good reference book for all things beer...... For a broader scope book (beer, wine, mead, etc) I like the Alaskan Bootleggers Bible.... http://www.amazon.com/Alaskan-Bootle.../dp/0967452406

For a good general forum on pretty much all forms of alcohol production I would recommend homebrewtalk.com..... For mead my other "go to" forum is gotmead.com.....

How to brew by John Palmer. You can buy the book, but he has the whole thing posted online.

http://www.howtobrew.com/

I would agree with picking up The Complete Joy of Home Brewing. It explains the basics of extract brewing, all grain brewing, mead making, yeast etc.
    I have volume 3 of it. As you can see from this picture it has seen some use.

The Complete Joy of Home Brewing.jpg

Home Brewing Vol. 1 by Al Korzonas is very comprehensive.

I have been working on brewing tonight
    11 8 13 brewing in the works.jpg

I will have to look into some of the other recommendations and I second homebrewtalk.com It's a great website on many things related to brewing.

Vance did you ever get THE COMPLETE JOY OF HOMEBREWING by Papazian?
    "Wine is a constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy" Ben Franklin

No Mike I didn't. My hobbies overrun me! Been cooking various things and I bottled up enough mead to make me question my sanity this week. The beermaking is on the back burner. I just bought the book Charcuterie which is frog for smoking and curing meat I think. I was out scouting to get something to cure yesterday. Tuesday I make meat after the critters settle down from being hunted on the weekend. Only five and a half months til dandelions!

Barry, I was thinking about how a person that does bees and makes beer just has so much stuff as I was cleaning kegs and bottles the past couple days. Milk crates sound smart but that would be even more "stuff." Another advantage of the milk crates would be so you don't clink the carboys together and crack them. I learned the hard way on that. I think that I have broken one or maybe it was two. ? I have developed a sort of finesse with slinging the carboys around on the wet floor in the basement at this point keeping them just far enough away from each other that there is not a problem. I like the glass because I can see that it is clean and know that nothing is seeping in or out of it.

On the carboy handle subject in Homebrewing Volume 1. Al Korzonas says, I've read in many places that you should not lift full carboys by the handle (that you should lift them from the bottom) but I have yet to have a mishap, even with the full carboys.

I have been lifting them full with the handles for years without an issue myself but I suppose the glass could crack. If there is a possibility of something happening it seems eventually it does. I had a wet carboy slip out of my hand once and so I won't go without carboy handles now.

I am enjoying the link that Darb posted http://www.howtobrew.com/

What meat are you working on Vance? Smoked meat and Mead sounds delicious. It's too bad I don't live closer I could bring over plenty of beer and just lend you the Charlie Papazian book.

This Brewery is not too far from us and they have fun concerts in the summer. The beer is great.
    The video goes over the beer fermentation process.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhu0sMkox1U
    Last edited by virginiawolf; 11-10-2013 at 12:32 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast