Default I feed and feed, and dont see it actually did anything.

I fed my bees from mid august all the way until a bit after the end of the goldenrod flow. Some of my hives, especially the nucs seem light to me. I thought the point of feeding was to get stores. I don't think it is robbing, as I didnt see evidence of such. Do carni type bees just keep less stores? I've never really had carni type bees before. Are my bees pigs? , or did they use it all to make bees? What do yall think?
    Chris Cree
    Cree's Bees

Default Re: I feed and feed, and dont see it actually did anything.

Much depends on how you were feeding and what the bees were doing with the feed. I have some nucs that I was feeding 1:1 to all summer but they started out so small (1 fame of brood + mated queen) that they never grew in population such that they really took the syrup. In hind sight I probably should have given them some pollen sub but my other hives were bringing in pollen so I reasoned that there was plenty of pollen if the bees cared to go get it.

Was your nuc drawing out foundation? Did some of the sugar syrup get used that way? Is mid August timely for the creation of nucs in your area? It is a tad late in mine.

What's the population of the nuc like?

I'm imagining a single five frame nuc box. What type of bottom board are you using with the nuc? Any pest or disease problems? Most of my bees have substantial carni heritage and they build and fill comb just fine as nucs, as long as I start them off with the necessary critical mass of bees.
    Master Beekeeper (EAS) and Master Gardener (U Maine CE) www.beeberrywoods.com

How much did you feed over how many weeks? If you don't feed it fast enough they will use the syrup to brood up instead of storing it.
    I started feeding August 25 and put the last feed out on Sept. 13. The first week they got 2.5 gallons and 1.5 gallons spread out over the next two weeks.
    I run single deeps with mostly carniolan or carni/italian cross.

August in parts of Ohio was a terrible month for the bees. With the late summer drought there was very little nectar available. The fall flow was also a big disappointment. Some of my colonies that were in pretty good shape burned through all of their stores in August and were light as a feather. I was feeding past GR and Aster and some were still light. You may need to put some fondant or dry sugar on the lighter colonies as a little insurance.

And yes, Carni's are more frugal and can survive winter with much less honey than some Italian strains.
    To everything there is a season....

I knew it was a rough august mike, but didnt know it was that rough. Still getting used to reading flows. Maybe I just didn't feed fast enough. Im just keeping my fingers crossed.
    Chris Cree
    Cree's Bees

If you want them to store up honey (or concentrated syrup) you must feed them much faster than they can use it to make brood.

Hivetop feeders holding 4 gallons is a good way to do this on standard hives. Boardman feeders are useless, the bees cannot pick up the feed fast enough to do more than just use it to make more bees.

Don't know what you can use for nucs, but it need to expose a considerable area for bees to pick up syrup by the dozens or hundreds so that they have a large surplus. They will store that, and they can go through a LOT of syrup in short order -- mine sucked down three gallons in a couple days twice before they started to slow down. Built a lot of comb and filled it with that syrup!

Peter

I hear ya Chris. We filled inside feeders on our bees a minimum of 3 times and better than half of them 5 times before they finally seemed heavy enough. It was just the nature of the late summer and fall. The queens continued to lay and the populations were good but the flows were almost non-existant from mid-August on. It sure makes you appreciate a fall flow.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

ya if you can park those hives by a field to keep them going, even if they dont gather enough for surplus, then your still ahead in the game
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

I've seen the same thing here. We fed and fed 5:3. They took it, but our hives are way too light for this time of year.

Seems as if a few of mine are as well. We need cold weather soon. The bees are eating it up at a terrific pace. Good thing I have a few extra frames of stores available for them.

I used frame feeders on my nucs this year and they worked great just saying.
    Say hello to the bad guy!
    year five==== 31 hives==== T{OAV}