Hybrid View

Default Anyone ever try using smaller sized hives?

I tried a warré size last season and I'm thinking of making hives even smaller for next year. 25.6 x 25.6 x 23.5cm(~10x10x9.25 inches).

I'm thinking this would better accommodate small cell size spacing, is still a bit above the average feral hive diameter reported by Seeley and be even lighter to lift.

Default Re: Anyone ever try using smaller sized hives?

My greats and many friends from East Europe used the small "Alpine Hive" with really good results. I can't remember the dimension off the top of my head but it was small and everything was foundationless.

Interesting. Checked it out and looks like the alpine hive is very similar to the traditional warré.

I have used the Warre for two years and I would go larger not smaller. Would be nice not to have a huge tower. Small cell doesn't have anything to do with the internal volume of the hive, but rather the spacing of the combs and if the bees are trained in on small cell.
    Not Michael Bush. My name is Dan. Sorry for the confusion.

Quote Originally Posted by Bush_84 View Post
    Small cell doesn't have anything to do with the internal volume of the hive, but rather the spacing of the combs
    Agreed. Thing is even if we can add a 9th comb, the standard warré is still just slightly bigger than needed for the spacing recommended for small cell.