Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Looking for some New Wood Frame assembly advice?

I run a small operation in SW Florida and make my own boxes and frames. I used to own and run a cabinet shop here until the bottom fell out. I did a lot of testing on glues and Titebond came out on top every time. Titebond III is their waterproof glue. Any of them will break the wood before they break the glue IF the joint is built properly. IE a tight fit. I use a single 18 ga. nail in an air nailer on each joint just to hold things in place until the glue dries.
    Regards
    Joe

Joe: That is my thinking on a frame joint as well. seems like if it is done right the wood should break before the joint separates. Is there such a thing as a joint with so little tolerance in the fit that it becomes weaker because it holds less glue?
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

I think of staples as just clamps you just leave in the joint after the glue dries. (Titebond III of course).
    President, San Francisco Beekeepers Association
    www.habitatforhoneybees.org

Jim
    There has been an ongoing debate about "joint starvation" for a long time. My personal opinion is that the glue is actually absorbed into the wood when it is applied and cannot be forced out completely by a tight fit. In a proper joint, the joint line cannot be seen, only where the grain of the wood changes can the joint be seen. This tight a joint is extremely strong. I made a house full of Cherry cabinets 5 years ago out of rips that varied from 1 1/2" to 2 1/2" wide and up to 8 ft long. To date, not one of the joints has come apart and only one 8 ft pantry door has warped (1/4"). These butt joints were clamped hard and held for 24 hours.
    Regards
    Joe

I agree titebond is as good as it gets.I tell all my customers you may break one of my frames but you will not pull them apart.
    John

www.poorvalleybeefarm.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12