Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

What's the minimum time for freezing frames to use for cut comb?

8K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  squirrelhenge 
#1 ·
I tried doing a search, no success.

I need 1 more frame of foundationless honey to fill an order of cut comb so I went and pulled from a hive I'd left plenty of extra honey. I put it in the freezer and set at coldest setting. I need to deliver in the morning and I need to know if I take it out of the freezer at midnight, 8 hrs in freezer, will everything that needs to be dead, be dead? Then it will be room temp and dry surface by morning.

Thanks in advance.

#3 ·
It's new drawn and filled comb from this summer/fall.

I want to kill wax moths, if any--hive beetle anything, this hive had a few beetles.

Someone at our meeting once said he had a container of comb in his fridge and at some point got wax moths. It had never been frozen but was in the fridge.

Does everyone freeze honeycomb they are selling? It's boxed, not chunk in a jar of honey. Not this frame I'm talking about. I freeze all my frames I'm using for comb honey for no less than a few days. Until now.

#5 ·
If the comb is white all the way through; never having had one cell of brood and was pulled and placed in a deep freezer for 24 hours you should have few if any issues. Below are two links. Although they pertain to wax moth issues both are well written and give you general advice to follow for all comb pests. We have not used the co2 method but have been considering it as the "turn around time" is quick.

Take a peek.

http://www.dpi.vic.gov.au/agricultu...wax-moth-pest-of-combs-and-honey-bee-products

http://www.clemson.edu/extension/beekeepers/publications/wax_moth_ipm.html

We produce up to 10.000 pounds worth of comb a year depending on the year. If the comb is White, frozen upon removal, and bagged to inhibit infestation once out of the freezer you will have minimal problems if any at all. Most issues arise when the stuff sits around "exposed" and contains either pollen or pupa casings.

Producing quality comb honey is the ultimate "art" in beekeeping. If you can master it consistently you will have very please customers as most beeks wont deal with the hassles involved. We get more smiles from comb than anything else we do with bees.

#6 ·
Thanks for the great information!
I see you are in California and maybe your overall prices higher, but what do you charge for your comb?
I'm using white comb also. I would think once its' used for brood it would be tougher comb. Also, I refridgerate cut and boxed comb that's not pre-ordered. Not a good idea?

#9 ·
We use 5 and 11/16 boxes and use either cut comb or thin surplus foundation. New foundation every time a box goes on the bees. Recycled foundation or comb leads to problems and an inferior product.

As per price. I wont say as that's "confidential." I am willing to say that if we don't get 5.5-7.0 the price of bulk barrel pricing its a total waste of my time and money. Lost honey production and the "go backs" involved as opposed to extracted honey means we charge the Art gallery price.

#7 ·
Putting it in the fridge can make the honey crystallize more quickly. I keep mine in the freezer until the day or two before sales.

With your short time in the freezer this time around, I don't thing that is insurance against killing all pest and eggs. Wax moth goes after comb that has had pollen or pupa casings in it as they are after the protein. If you are using virgin white comb with never having brood or pollen stored in it then chances are better for you, but I don't know if I'd call it a solid guarantee.

#8 ·
Ray,
I put that frame back in freezer and told my customer I would have the balance of her order next week. I did not want to take the chance as she orders, well this time was 16 boxes of comb. I had 12 for her and it's the second time she's bought comb. She told me that when she buys comb she generally buys that much at a time, so I wasn't ready when she asked for 16 instead of 12. I will keep the frame in the freezer until she calls me again. I told her that's it til spring for comb honey.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.