Hybrid View

Default What's the minimum time for freezing frames to use for cut comb?

I tried doing a search, no success.

I need 1 more frame of foundationless honey to fill an order of cut comb so I went and pulled from a hive I'd left plenty of extra honey. I put it in the freezer and set at coldest setting. I need to deliver in the morning and I need to know if I take it out of the freezer at midnight, 8 hrs in freezer, will everything that needs to be dead, be dead? Then it will be room temp and dry surface by morning.

Thanks in advance.
    Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones. Prvb 16:24
    March 2010; +/- 30 hives, TF

Default Re: What's the minimum time for freezing frames to use for cut comb?

What are you trying to kill? Moths, mites, bee louse, Hive beetles? Is this 100% white comb?

It's new drawn and filled comb from this summer/fall.

I want to kill wax moths, if any--hive beetle anything, this hive had a few beetles.

Someone at our meeting once said he had a container of comb in his fridge and at some point got wax moths. It had never been frozen but was in the fridge.

Does everyone freeze honeycomb they are selling? It's boxed, not chunk in a jar of honey. Not this frame I'm talking about. I freeze all my frames I'm using for comb honey for no less than a few days. Until now.
    Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones. Prvb 16:24

I'm use the rule of (read it here )
    48hrs freezer time to kill ALL
    I also think the longer time is for the moth larva

I used to freeze for 24 now upped to 48

If the comb is white all the way through; never having had one cell of brood and was pulled and placed in a deep freezer for 24 hours you should have few if any issues. Below are two links. Although they pertain to wax moth issues both are well written and give you general advice to follow for all comb pests. We have not used the co2 method but have been considering it as the "turn around time" is quick.

Take a peek.

http://www.dpi.vic.gov.au/agricultur...y-bee-products

http://www.clemson.edu/extension/bee..._moth_ipm.html

We produce up to 10.000 pounds worth of comb a year depending on the year. If the comb is White, frozen upon removal, and bagged to inhibit infestation once out of the freezer you will have minimal problems if any at all. Most issues arise when the stuff sits around "exposed" and contains either pollen or pupa casings.

Producing quality comb honey is the ultimate "art" in beekeeping. If you can master it consistently you will have very please customers as most beeks wont deal with the hassles involved. We get more smiles from comb than anything else we do with bees.

Thanks for the great information!
    I see you are in California and maybe your overall prices higher, but what do you charge for your comb?
    I'm using white comb also. I would think once its' used for brood it would be tougher comb. Also, I refridgerate cut and boxed comb that's not pre-ordered. Not a good idea?

Thank you for posting these. I'll be a new beek as of spring and was curious about how you produced comb honey without was moth larvae popping out after you gave it to your friends!
    Eric Francis, North Little Rock, Ark.
    If I'm a sci-fi geek and a beekeeper, does that make me a beegeeker?