Thread: crop spraying

Default crop spraying

Good morning all,
    We have move to a new area and this year I am placing hives in an area that is in close proximity to corn and soy bean crops. They will notify me within a 2 day window of spraying the crops. I thought of blocking the entrance and draping a tarp loosely over hives to help the girls from being sprayed. Is this too paranoid? I am told it wasn't done in the past and all was fine. The difference this time is these are my bees and my responsibility.
    Thanks

Default Re: crop spraying

Close proximity? What do you consider close proximity to the crops. feet, yards, miles? Bees make little use of corn, and in general when spraying of beans are done they will be out of bloom. The problem is drift. As there are usually other things in bloom around the crops. The distance, and time to be concerned depends on the insecticide and application method. As well as weather conditions. If the spraying is done at a time when favored forage of another variety away from the crop land is prevalent your concerns would be minimal. if field edge forage in at it's peak your concerns would be paramount.

Default Re: crop spraying

I am but yards from the corn and beans. Most of the foliage are berries, orchard and lavender. I know I can't limit all exposure, but prefer to minimize it as best I can.