Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Default Re: Afordable beekeeping

I wouldn't compare a forum to an organized course.

Some people have the money and time to benefit from an online course and their questions could possibly be answered by Maryann Frazier. On a forum there's no telling who's responding to ones questions. Having read two or three books would help someone to muck out the good answers on a forum. My first beekeeping book was the one used in the University of Delaware's credited beekeeping course and their online course, Dewey Caron's "Beekeeping and Honey Bee Biology".

BOOKS are important in my opinion.

Attending a class in person is not an option for many so an online course is an affordable (with two f's) option.
    Last edited by BeeCurious; 12-06-2012 at 08:19 AM. Reason: Typo
    BeeCurious
    Trying to think inside the box...

Default Re: Affordable beekeeping

So for 189 bucks ya get to reed a bunch of stuff on line and watch a bunch of online videos?? Reed some books watch some u tube vids buy some bees and save some bucks.
    Im really not that serious

"affordable" is a relative term.

Some people buy from Bee-Commerce, they can afford to... http://bee-commerce.com
    BeeCurious
    Trying to think inside the box...

I guess simply buying a beginner's book, a starter outfit from Dadant or Kelley's, then one of the "bibles" is passe' now... in this modern, technologically expensive age. Heck, I don't even own a bee suit.
    "If all you have is a hammer, the whole world is a nail." - A.H. Maslow

Quote Originally Posted by BeeCurious View Post
    "affordable" is a relative term.

Some people buy from Bee-Commerce, they can afford to... http://bee-commerce.com
    Bang! Those are some high prices! I have his "Dummies" book, but, wow I never saw his website. His book references himself for buying equipment, so maybe the book is right in being titled "Beekeeping for Dummies"! Nothing at all against the author (Mr. Howland Blackiston). Really a decent beginners book.

I am only going to make two comments, then back out of this discussion.

1. If newbees do not need education, then why would anyone go to college.

2. If you can learn everything by experimenting and reading, I really want to talk to my Doctor, the next time I visit him. How did he become qualified to diagonose and treat me.

cchoganjr

Beekeeping and doctoring ain't the same thing. Ya need a collage course to keep chickens??? Grow a garden???
    Im really not that serious

As stated above , no additional comment.

cchoganjr

Can you keep bees, grow a garden or keep chickens without a college course? Sure. Can you do it better with a college course. Well that is questionable, But possible. Now go breed chickens with 12 inch saddle hackle that are dry fly quality. You ain't gonna do that with any trial and error. So a lot of it is what you consider good enough.
    Stand for what you believe, even if you stand alone.

Another observation. The U. of MN course "Beekeeping in Northern Climes" is $150 for 2 days in March, taught by Marla Spivak and Gary Reuter.
    http://www.beelab.umn.edu/Education/...urse/index.htm

This last few years it has booked up and sold out early. I don't believe it would have sold out if priced wrong.

To be honest, before internet I would have bought a book to learn about beekeeping.............wait, I did buy a book, "beekeeping for dummies". I also got a book from the "first hive" package I got, it was a Dadant book. I read both of them cover to cover. Then I discovered this site and others and Youtube and they all opened my eyes and I learned everything that a person needs to know to keep bees in a basic way.

Now, if I wanted to learn specialty things like AI queens, I would take a course. If I wanted to turn beekeeping into a business as my sole income, I would take a business class AND work for a commercial guy for a year to learn short cuts and what I need and dont need.

Most people learn better from books (a harmless jab at engineers!) but I learn things a lot better from hands on experience whether I try myself, or learn from someone with experience.

Would I pay $189 for an online beekeeping course, no way!! Would I pay $189 to watch a commercial guy work his hives and solve issues........heck ya!! Again back to the hands on visual learning thing I have!!
    Coyote Creek Bees

All Beekeepers that I have meet so far have been more than happy to teach for free!
    https://www.facebook.com/stevesbees99
    Please visit my page, Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sfisher View Post
    All Beekeepers that I have meet so far have been more than happy to teach for free!
    I'll second that. I would never put anyone down for trying to learn but why pay if you do not have to? Join a club you will find lot of teachers not just one opinion you will get from taking formal class. The club I belong to has one of only seven(I think 7) master beekeepers in PA and I have been out to his apiary and I have his number for any question I have

In the "beginning" I'm sure cavemen went to college to learn everything.
    We (human race) learned from trial and error all along to educate ourselves. College is just a place to learn from those who receive a higher level of education than ourselves.
    Trust me..... college professors can learn quite a bit from the old timers on this site. Hands on education you cannot learn from any book.
    BTW, I'm starting an online class myself. For as little as $99.95 I will provide you with a link to this online site. lol

I read a post just a while back from a member that had a mentor that gave them horrible advice at almost every turn. resulting in a disastrous first year. Eventually that mentor abandoned the beekeeper all together. For a while that person was at risk of giving up. Courses that are paid for improve both qualification of the teacher and accountability. Willingness to teach does not make you a teacher. Heck, having a teaching position does not make you a teacher either but at least then you can have them removed.

Reading works to a degree, but only for those that can read. not everyone can. not everyone's eyes put things together they same way. A dyslexic person eyes re arrange the order of the symbols used in writing. "A" is a symbol that represents a sound in speech. For many it may randomly look like V. an L will look like 7. a Y may very well look like h.

Vub ly3n il q3Is rea77 coufnsiuq.

How does it work for you? Yes the above says something and it is just a mild form of what a dyslexic person might see. It represents only two of three visual orientation issues they might have.
    Then you have those that simply cannot learn from a book.

Danial you are correct not everyone can learn by reading and not everyone is quilified to teach but I think no one is quilified to teach beekeeping except the bees just look how many opinions are out there who says that the class instructor's opinion is correct?

I've paid to attend EAS the past few years and on the other end I'm now involved with pricing for our local bee school. I'm not rushing out to sign up for the Penn State Course, but if I should and perhaps learn something that makes me a better beekeeper, than I will have gotten my money's worth.

Quote Originally Posted by trykonxlgold85 View Post
    Danial you are correct not everyone can learn by reading and not everyone is quilified to teach but I think no one is quilified to teach beekeeping except the bees just look how many opinions are out there who says that the class instructor's opinion is correct?
    From what I can tell there area lot of people out there that have made up their minds about many things. all mostly incorrect. And I am talking about bees and beekeeping. If in fact it was known what was correct. we would not bee seeing the problems that we are.

Realizing that current methods are incorrect does not by default give us the answers. What bothers me is the hard headed determination not only for a generation but for decades that these obviously mistaken methods are defended as the way to do it.

Cavemen? Is that really relevant? Sadly it is. I see much that is seriously defended about beekeeping because it would be dishonoring to some guy that figured something out 120 years ago. What I find dishonoring is that not many have taken up his real contribution. and that is figuring out the next best way.
    I don't think Doolittle is much offended that we stopped using a candles while grafting. But he does include comments on them in his instructions.

>> '...all mostly incorrect...', '...obviously mistaken methods...'

really dan? those seem like pretty extreme statements to me.

please enlighten us, how have you with so little experience come so quickly to determine that generations of beekeepers with years of practice have gotten in so wrong.

please, when you figure out the 'correct' way, share it with the rest of us, so that we will no longer be 'mistaken'.
    journaling the growth of a treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

Quote Originally Posted by squarepeg View Post
    please enlighten us, how have you with so little experience come so quickly to determine that generations of beekeepers with years of practice have gotten in so wrong.

please, when you figure out the 'correct' way, share it with the rest of us, so that we will no longer be 'mistaken'.
    Are you getting a little bit sarcastic here, squarepeg?

Quote Originally Posted by squarepeg View Post
    what's the point? forgive me for saying so, but if are you trying to make yourself look good by making somebody else look bad, it's not working.
    Graham
    --- Victor Hugo - "Common sense is in spite of, not the result of, education.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast