Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Affordable beekeeping

http://beekeeping101.psu.edu/?utm_so...FUWo4AodbmQAVQ
    With prices like these beesource will be growing leaps and bounds.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Default Re: Afordable beekeeping

Hmmmm....

No thanks! I'll put that $189 toward another hive.
    Don't provoke a hive full of angry bees.

Maybe part of the cost is to cover their recent legal fees and fines...............I dunno..
    http://OxaVap.com
    Your source for Oxalic Acid Vaporizers

Beekeeping bubble.
    Say hello to the bad guy!
    year five==== 30 hives==== T{OAV}

Quote Originally Posted by GLOCK View Post
    Beekeeping bubble.
    You're not kidding. I definitely see the fad thing going on here. But classes through the local extension are $10!
    Don't provoke a hive full of angry bees.

Granted, $189.00 is quite a bit of money, but this is one hobby that can get breathtakingly expensive in a hurry. Most people who become interested in bees, don't have a well equipped woodworking shop, or a suit or any of the varied tools that wind up in most beekeepers' tool box, and don't have any idea where a good spot is to set a swarm trap, if they had one. Add up a package of bees, a suit w/veil, and the beginners kit that the supply houses will almost always steer newbies toward, a couple of the books available everywhere, and you are going to be well north of 189 bucks before you get your first sting. It may not help that on all of the available forums, when a question is asked by anyone they will get 13 different opinions for every dozen responses. Certainly not for everyone, and I won't be spending the money to subscribe, but I think it might be an excellent resource for some, and well worth the price.

For that price I could meet up with ODfrank and Charlie, buy their lunches and pick their brains for a wealth of hands on knowledge and still be money ahead.
    Coyote Creek Bees

Thats PENN STATE they try to cash in on anything they can. I own a business in state college{20years} and it's all about the campus and it's money.
    If PENN STATE does not get a chunck it don't happen in STATE COLLEGE. But thank god for that college or i'd have to sell alot of honey to make what that town gives me.
    Plus i do beleave they have a nice Department of Entomology and they are working to help the bee's but they are not getting any money from me i think 189.00 for the basic bee keeping knowledge is kinda steep . Join a bee club much cheaper and ya have some hands on . I say just buy 3 hives jump in and swim or drown and read all you can you'll get it and you'll know with in 2 years if beekeeeping is for you.

By comparison the Minnesota course is only $25!

http://beelab.umn.edu/Education/Publ...Bees/index.htm

Rusty

It is a bit pricey, but, I believe the biggest factor in newbee dissatisfaction and failure, is "lack of knowledge" If you are just starting, beekeeping is a lot like any other new enterprise. There is so much more to beekeeping than just buying a veil and a smoker, and so much of beekeeping is very time sensitive. If it needs to be done, it needs to be done now to preclude additional damage.

It is pricey, but, get the knowledge somewhere, before you become discouraged and just give up on beekeeping, or spend a ton of money.

cchoganjr

Quote Originally Posted by Cleo C. Hogan Jr View Post
    It is a bit pricey, but, I believe the biggest factor in newbie dissatisfaction and failure, is "lack of knowledge" If you are just starting, beekeeping is a lot like any other new enterprise.
    A newbie doesn't need any knowledge that he/she has to pay for. All the newbie needs is determination and a small investment.
    Here is my question to the forum pointed at commercial operations: Would you pay someone more that has taken this class or would you rather teach this person yourself starting at a lower wage? Once this question is answered then we can determine if the 189 bucks is worth it.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

The first thing I look for in an employee is honesty, then a strong work ethic, previous beekeeping experience, physical strength, pleasing personality, intelligence, drivers license, the flexibility to be away from home for up to a few weeks at a time..........hmmmm I haven't gotten to formal online bee education yet......it's way down there somewhere. Pay more? Yeah right.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Shopping for an education is a lot like shopping for a car. Prices vary for a wide range of reasons. One example of cost of education is a course in Instrumental Insemination. U.C. Davis wants $950 for the entire course. II and Advanced II. Plus you provide your own instrument. Some students provide their own microscope. But where else are you going to get the training? And if you do get it somewhere else was it worth getting.

On the other hand. They need to do a lot more to support that their course is with a plug nickle. I want to see the results that are achieved by those that have taken the course. Do people come out of the course better than average beekeepers and if so is it $189 better?
    Stand for what you believe, even if you stand alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Acebird View Post
    A newbie doesn't need any knowledge that he/she has to pay for. All the newbie needs is determination and a small investment.
    Here is my question to the forum pointed at commercial operations: Would you pay someone more that has taken this class or would you rather teach this person yourself starting at a lower wage? Once this question is answered then we can determine if the 189 bucks is worth it.
    You are right determination is a big facter if you don't love beekeeping you will fail.

I jumped in with no help at all from a mentor or classes .
    I learned everything from /books/beesorce/ the other forums/web sites/hands on/ .
    The first year was a failure 2 hives both died out my falt seconed year bought 3 nucs all made it throught winter and got alittle honey made queens and splits caught swarms{mine i'm quessing} i now have 13 hives and 2 nucs going in to winter and there all heavy and health.
    This coming year i'll will learn more about swarming and a better SPM thats for sure. And the varroa destructor my main concern trying to stay chemical free so far so good. So ya see ya learn more and more the longer you stick to it but ya have to love it and ya don't need a course thats just another way for people to make money.

Quote Originally Posted by jim lyon View Post
    The first thing I look for in an employee is honesty, then a strong work ethic, previous beekeeping experience, physical strength, pleasing personality, intelligence, drivers license, the flexibility to be away from home for up to a few weeks at a time..
    I now have a fall back plan! I rank high in your first three, a bit lower on the forth, 5th & 6th - you decide (heheh), in the same rank with the first three for 7, if timed right, my wife would welcome your last requirement. Am I hired?
    Regards, Barry

I'm a great fan of education, but beekeeping is an art as well as a science.
    I went for an afternoon session at a local apiary ($40), joined some beekeeping forums, and read all I could find.
    The apiary afternoon gave me minimal hands on, but I became sure I wanted to get into it.

You don't get that through a correspondance course, and you have to keep abreast of news/trends/developments in the field anyway.
    I'd rather take a more advanced course now that I have a couple of years in; I think my money would be better spent.
    The art part comes from doing; the science through reading/study.
    You need both.

PS I don't claim to be an artist, or scholar w/r/t bees. Getting a hive is more like a license to learn.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I now have a fall back plan! I rank high in your first three, a bit lower on the forth, 5th & 6th - you decide (heheh), in the same rank with the first three for 7, if timed right, my wife would welcome your last requirement. Am I hired?
    Well the fact that your wife might welcome the last requirement makes me wonder about number five. But what the hey as the old drill instructors would say drop yer......errrr I mean grab your hive tool lets get some work done. On the other hand you just might be better suited to fixing up the old money pit than putting up with the likes of our crew for very long though.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by GLOCK View Post
    The first year was a failure 2 hives both died out my falt
    Not defending this particular course...but...

What did you pay for those bees? Since it was your fault, if you had taken a class, maybe they wouldn't have died and you'd have saved the money of replacing bees plus made honey the second year....education is an investment, not a one-time cost.

Quote Originally Posted by libhart View Post
    Not defending this particular course...but...

What did you pay for those bees? Since it was your fault, if you had taken a class, maybe they wouldn't have died and you'd have saved the money of replacing bees plus made honey the second year....education is an investment, not a one-time cost.
    Yes i did pay more then the course is but what i learned from those two failed hives made me a better beekeeper and plus there's alot of people that there first year{even with a course} is not good but the hands on is well worth the bee's and like i said i had 100 percent survival last year and well 15 hives going into this winter with no dinkys so will see how spring is.
    The bee's i made this year alone made up for the bee's i lost and the problems i had and i had a few made me even a better beekeeper.
    I now don't have to buy bee's/queens /honey just have to raise bee's all learned from books/net/hands on/
    How much can a course realy teach you that a book or internet and hands on can't? I know i have alot to learn but i bet that course could not teach me anything and if it did i bet it would not be much.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast