Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Customer Dissatisfaction

17K views 49 replies 33 participants last post by  Joel 
#1 ·
I don't know how many of you have had the unpleasant experience of trying to get an order done correctly from Brushy Mtn.'s New Columbia retail location, but I've had nothing but bad experiences, including unreasonable hours of waiting, that should've taken 20 mins., constant screw-ups on making sure the order was correct, due to no quality control there, and that they hired a kid, that works in the warehouse pulling orders, that doesn't know the first thing about beekeeping equipment. I complained to the headquarter's management, and after speaking to the store's manager to verify my story, they have decided to "black list" me and are refusing to allow me to do business with them. When I called and asked why, the lady I spoke to told me she checked the file and the store's manager, J.W., was definitely the one that initiated the action, but gave no reason and left no notes why. So I asked her to check with the upper level mangement...she did and this was her reply:

Mr. Famous,

I did have the chance to speak with Shane and he says the decision stands. We are NOT to do any more business with you. For reasons I am sure that you are aware, this was the decision of both the owners and managers. You may contact Jim Wilson at the Pennsilvania Warehouse to see if there is anything else that can be done, but I will no longer be able to help you nor will any of the other Representatives.

I thank you and have a great day

Brushy Mtn Bee Farm.

OK, so if I'm supposed to be aware of the reason why, how come he didn't even notate the file for their own staff to know why? There's only one logical answer...there is no good reason.

Has anyone else had such an experience with this store/manager?? I don't think I did anything wrong complaining about aweful service.

See less See more
#2 ·
Well hate to break it to you but businesses don't throw away perfectly good clients for no reason.

They've just decided to cut their losses.

The "kid", is likely because they have a limited budget to pay wages and they have hired someone who will eventually be trained, but doesn't know everything yet. I'm in business, sometimes you have to hire less knowledgeable people and give them a break.

I don't know anything about this case other than your side of the story. But I can say that for me, although I've never blacklisted anyone, there are a few customers I would be better without. They are demanding and time wasting, and seem completely out of touch with the idea that I actually have to make some money or I could not continue the business. It can help to look from the other guys viewpoint. If you consider how much actual profit they made on whatever they sold you (and were you picky and rejected some of their product, which is a cost), and compare that to the amount of time and grief you have cost them, do you think they could reasonably survive?

And not spelling out to you their reason for blacklisting you, does not mean they don't actually have a reason. It means they think telling you will just be grounds for more argument. They cannot be bothered with even more argument, they are done with you.

You now have the option to deal with any of the other suppliers. My advice? Treat them how you would like to be treated, allow for the fact we are all just human and sometimes everything is not perfect.

#4 ·
As a customer, I have my own black-mail list for the companies I do not want to have deal with. It includes Delta Airlines and some others. But I do not think, that the business, which supposed to provide services to public (selling stuff in this case) has the same rights as an individual customer. Even if it is private business, offering services/goods to the public brings some responsibilities to the business owner. If these responsibilities are not fulfilled, there are ways to correct the problem. I would contact consumer protection agency and local chamber of commerce. Also, if purchase was made with credit card - it is good idea to call them to see what they think. If they are on your side, than they could consider the same approach - to put that "businessman" in the blackmail list as s/he did it for you. I think, it is fair. I also think that it is important to share customer experience.

#9 ·
Cerezha,

You can certainly complain, blacklist, etc. What you can't do is misrepresent what the company has or has not done. They are in business to earn money, not tick people off. If they want sell to you, they have a real reason, period. This was escalated and the managers upheld the original decision. There are discrimination laws, but unless those are the reason for the rejection, they are within their legal rights to not do business with you. One thing I have found through the years, is that an unhappy, unreasonable customer is a liability, no matter what you do to pacify them. They still want more and still drag your good name through the mud. It is best to cut your losses, meet your reasonable obligations to them, then end the relationship. I imagine that is just what happened in this case.

I do not know the specifics in this case, and none were offered. Just a vague complaint about misreatment. As such, I cannot assign any validity to it.

#5 ·
Words of wisdom Oldtimer. I too am in business and have experienced this with help more times than I care to remember. And like you, I've had customers I'd rather not deal with and a few I refused to deal with! Only heard one side of this story but I'd say cut your loses and buy somewhere else. After all if service is that bad, WHY would you want to do business with them.

BTW I have been buying from Brushy Mt for over 5 years, never had the first problem. :scratch:

#6 ·
including unreasonable hours of waiting, that should've taken 20 mins.
Have you been to a doctor lately ... eventually you will pay him upwords of 150 bucks for waiting. Be thankful it was just a kid, that might cost you 7.50. If a person knew everything there is to know about beekeeping would you expect him / her to be working in a warehouse?

#13 ·
Well i've been in business{my own restaurant} for over 20 years and in the restaurants since i was 12 and i can tell ya customers are not allways right they can blow things out of portion if i was to fire every employee a customer told me did some thing wrong to there food or was rude i'd have to hire every other month. Most people are great but there's that 10 percent ya just can't make happy with out giving them something.
Brushy Mountain has done well with me and i've orded 3 times from them and i'm sure i'll order again.
Oldtimer your so right some customers are not worth the stress.

#14 ·
I ordered from them recently and had a couple minor issues with the order. All it took was a phone call and everything was corrected quickly and cheerfully. They didn't even require anything be returned. My entire time on the phone including the time it took me to dial was less than 5 minutes.
While I can't say they were perfect, I realize I ordered on an extremely busy day and I got the order quickly.
I will be ordering from them again.

#16 ·
Famous,
As a package bee producer, seller and shipper I can attest to the old adage that 1% of the customers cause 90% of the "problems"
In our business its usually the person who hand released a queen right when they opened the package and now wants a free queen or its someone who didn't read our "contract" before they hit the "buy" button. They make up 99% of our irate customers. If customers give us a prompt notification that there is an issue within the parameters they purchased under we very work hard on trying to make it right. When someone wants their money back for "dead" bees because they failed to feed a package properly when it rained for 3 days straight at 40 degrees I often wonder why people toss their money at something they aren't willing to invest their time in. My advice is find someone new to purchase from and keep your "attitude" in check especially if things aren't perfect with their service or your order.

#18 ·
Clearly not one of you even read the question, because not one of you mentioned making a purchase specifically at this retail location or the manager that stays there during business hours. If I just wanted random opinions from people that can't read, I'd just go to the local Adult Educ. Night program and interview them personally. Come on folks, get with it....reading is fundamental.

#22 ·
OK, so if I'm supposed to be aware of the reason why, how come he didn't even notate the file for their own staff to know why? There's only one logical answer...there is no good reason.
Here's a clue .... your attitude. :no:

If I just wanted random opinions from people that can't read, I'd just go to the local Adult Educ. Night program and interview them personally.
:digging:

#29 ·
If you weren't "So famous" on this forum you are now. WOW! I wake up to this... Surprised the computer didn't crash with laughter on its own last night.

Welcome to the world "notorious"

You came here claiming to be looking for "advice" and haven't seem to get what you wanted. I apologize. WA-Wa-Wa. In hindsight what I think you were really looking for someone to confirm why you were unhappy with BM. Sorry you didn't get consent. Looks like most folks are happy with them. My experience with them has been online only and we got our stuff... They get a B+ rating from me. No tears or spats of fits regarding bad service from me.

As for the rest of your recent responses:

There are two types of advice. General and specific. Beesource and life contains both. Those who are unable to learn from the "general" and figure it out from there need specific advice. Many folks here tried to give general advice so you could "figure it out yourself" regarding your situation. I doubt you would either accept or "learn" from specific advice even if it had been given regarding your situation. ( considering your recent tirade).

Its a sunny day in northern California. Old saying ("advice" for those of you living North of Phili ) says make hay when the sun shines so I think I'm out of here to check hives and toss on syrup as needed. :D

#32 ·
sfamous,
You Posted your encounter from your point of view and explained and illustrated things from your point of view. I still don't know what you did wrong, but I don't have Brushy Mountain PA's point of view. So, I only have part of the story. So, what do you want from us? Advice? Agreement? A shoulder to cry on? Unmitigated support?

I believe you have gotten good advice from a number of people on this Forum, starting w/ Oldtimer.

Patronize another supplier. Get over it. Move on. Try BetterBee. They are under new management. Dadant in Waverly,NY is a good group of guys to work with.

#39 ·
If your attitude towards us is anything like your attitude towards brushy I certainly can't blame them. You strike me as one of those folks who the whole department knows your there and employees take turns dealing with you. Some of the bee supplys, especially the smaller ones, can be a wealth of knowledge, and can save your rear in a pinch. Dont burn bridges.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.