Default Mysterious bee behaviour

I'm a second-year beekeeper in Central Texas. It's been really warm this fall with temps in the 80s, although there's not much in the way of nectar right now. Today (Tuesday 12/4/12) I went to harvest some honey. The honey that I had separated from the main hive with the bee escape was gone (eaten? moved? robbed?), and there were still a fair quantity of bees in the super; upon close inspection, one of the little arms on the bee escape was bent and the little workers could move back across it. This was all disappointing, but the strangest thing happened after I closed up the hive.

Bees were calm and not defensive while I was at the hive inspecting, and they didn't follow me back to the house (about 500 feet away). But after about ten minutes or so, I noticed the courtyard outside the house was FULL of bees flying about in a very agitated way, with quite a number of them dive bombing the glass doors as if trying to get in the house. Has anyone ever seen anything like this?

Thanks for any insight you may have.

Default Re: Mysterious bee behaviour

never seen that, sounds spooky!

i'm guessin' they moved the honey back down below the bee escape.
    journaling the growth of a treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

If ya smoked them they were lower filling up with honey, if no smoke, then they were just doing their thang, and once you closed up the word got around inside the hive and they decided to search and destroy the invader. You stated not much as in nectar, and that creates defensive bees, bees are never aggressive , only defensive.

When one of my hives are being robbed, I notice this so called dive bombing of my glass doors.
    My hives are 200 feet from back of house.
    I now use this to know to put hive reducers on or robber screens in place.

Mariposa: Are you positive it wasn't a swarm in the courtyard?? I had a feral colony under our workshop which swarmed 3 times this past spring and fall...and when they swarmed, my side yard was literally "a buzz", absolutly FULL of very noisy bees. Once the swarm settles, they are docile as can be. I was amazed how quickly things changed from 'holy crap, this is scary', to 'which box should I use to catch the swarm?' I would take a good hard look aound all your plants (especially any kind of fruiting tree) for a cluster, just in case it was a swarm Just a thought!

I would guess swarm as well.

Thanks to everyone for your insight. I am watching them for robbing, and will keep my eyes open for a swarm. This hive is very "swarmy," having done so once this spring and once this fall.