Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Need some ideas for hive platform(s)

18K views 43 replies 26 participants last post by  throrope 
#1 ·
I currently have two hives on concrete blocks and will be adding 3 or 4 more over the winter for next year. I would like to build some sort of wood platform for them to sit on, where could I go to get some ideas? I suppose some 4x4 posts driven into the ground with 2x8's running length ways would work. Thanks for any ideas

#33 ·
I wonder if Charlie goes to as much time and expense to keep the ants out of the apartments he manages below his rooftop apiary as he does to keep them out of his bee hives?

#35 ·
The first year I was able to buy most of the stock of a Beekeeper getting out of the business....he sold me a couple of stands that were perfect for this....he used cross ties from old telephone poles that were torn down and replaced with new ones....the power company was dumping the cross ties in a dumpster and getting rid of them....the ties are about 7 to 8 feet long...nail or screw a couple of 2 x 6's to the ends and a couple of 1 x 8's across the stand as braces, and they're ready to go. You could use 4 x 4 posts, but they end up weighing too much for me to deal with....the old cross ties are much lighter. I then lay down four concrete building blocks as a base and to get the entire unit off the ground, then stack 3 hives on each.....one of the good things about this system is when you have to start pulling supers off to extract. the base is so strong you can just stand on the platform that the stand provides and they supers are much easier to handle. I'll try to locate a pic I can post so you can get a better idea.

dixie

#40 ·
View attachment 3663 I made 2 sets of these for my hives. There is enough room between the hives to stack supers during an inspection. I embellished a little since these are in my front yard. 4 x 4's and 2 x 6's.
I love these. Sometimes white seems like it would be plain, until you see how clean it looks. Nice job

#42 ·
Here is one of the stands I have been using the last couple years. All you need is a couple of 2 x 10 or 12's and four concrete post holders(4x4). Once all together it is very solid and can be moved fairly easily. If you have bottom entrances it gets it up high enough that skunks should not be a problem!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.