Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Cleansing Bottom Boards In Winter

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  BeeButler 
#1 ·
I'm a first year Bee Keeper in Northern Wisconsin. My hive is closed up with Tar Paper, adequately ventilated, etc. I'm wondering if I should periodically (in times of milder fall weather) remove the bottom board insert to clean out the accumulation of dead bees in the bottom or does that place a too great of risk from cooling the hive. The hive was in good shape when I winterized it..a top deep filled with honey, a 10lb sugar cake on top, and ventilation slots/shims placed at strategic places to provide winter ventilation. Entrance reducer closed to 2-3" slot with wire mesh over hive to prevent mice infestation. Any thoughts from you pros out there for a Hick from northern Wisconsin.

#2 ·
If your going to provide an entrance hole in an upper box ( recommended ) for bathroom brakes, during mild winter days ,I would'nt worry to much.
But if thats the only way out, is through the bottom then I would slide a stick in an slide it sideways an out to remove dead bees from blocking entrance also snow. Dec. 3rd an there out there flying. 60 deg. Also still feeding 2 to 1, an pollen sub..

#3 ·
I sometimes take the stainless mouse excluder and run that into the entrance and sweep the bottom board like a windshield wiper. With a solid bottom the bees may not be inclined to mozy down to the ground floor an toss out the dead. A stainless mouse guard will reach nearly to the back of the hive and is convenient being at the hive when you get there already.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.