Default Cleansing Bottom Boards In Winter

I'm a first year Bee Keeper in Northern Wisconsin. My hive is closed up with Tar Paper, adequately ventilated, etc. I'm wondering if I should periodically (in times of milder fall weather) remove the bottom board insert to clean out the accumulation of dead bees in the bottom or does that place a too great of risk from cooling the hive. The hive was in good shape when I winterized it..a top deep filled with honey, a 10lb sugar cake on top, and ventilation slots/shims placed at strategic places to provide winter ventilation. Entrance reducer closed to 2-3" slot with wire mesh over hive to prevent mice infestation. Any thoughts from you pros out there for a Hick from northern Wisconsin.

Default Re: Cleansing Bottom Boards In Winter

If your going to provide an entrance hole in an upper box ( recommended ) for bathroom brakes, during mild winter days ,I would'nt worry to much.
    But if thats the only way out, is through the bottom then I would slide a stick in an slide it sideways an out to remove dead bees from blocking entrance also snow. Dec. 3rd an there out there flying. 60 deg. Also still feeding 2 to 1, an pollen sub..

Default Re: Cleansing Bottom Boards In Winter

Quote Originally Posted by RADJr View Post
    I'm a first year Bee Keeper in Northern Wisconsin. My hive is closed up with Tar Paper, adequately ventilated, etc. I'm wondering if I should periodically (in times of milder fall weather) remove the bottom board insert to clean out the accumulation of dead bees in the bottom or does that place a too great of risk from cooling the hive. The hive was in good shape when I winterized it..a top deep filled with honey, a 10lb sugar cake on top, and ventilation slots/shims placed at strategic places to provide winter ventilation. Entrance reducer closed to 2-3" slot with wire mesh over hive to prevent mice infestation. Any thoughts from you pros out there for a Hick from northern Wisconsin.
    I sometimes take the stainless mouse excluder and run that into the entrance and sweep the bottom board like a windshield wiper. With a solid bottom the bees may not be inclined to mozy down to the ground floor an toss out the dead. A stainless mouse guard will reach nearly to the back of the hive and is convenient being at the hive when you get there already.