Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Homemade Frame Designs

Quote Originally Posted by jgbataille View Post
    Ooo. I like that idea Tony. Not just for frames, but for everything else. I think I'm gonna do that this weekend. Thanks!
    Be warned, it's very addicting :-) and a bunch of fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. C View Post
    A jointer works really nice for making the taper in the endbars. I have a 2x4 with a C shaped hook in the end to hold the board using the groove for the bottom bar to keep my hands away. Really fast easy and clean, but requires a jointer.
    I was hoping someone would have a photo of how you are holding the endbar with this 2x4 C shape. I just don't see a safe way of holding the endbar while cutting the taper.

Thanks, steve

Sorry at work, don't have any pictures at the momment, but I made a schematic real quick on paint. The end bar blank (usually a 2x4 or 2x6 with a dado groove in the end for me) slides in from the side. The endbar is only held in the front and back which is all you need. You can hold the 2x4 and slide the end bar forward without getting anywhere near the cutter. I reccomend screwing the pieces on from the top so your screw heads don't show on the bottom as well, and I clamp a block to the jointer as a stop so I don't cut too far. You have to make a different holder for each size of endbar also.
    Endbar Holder for Jointer Schematic.jpg

Hopefully the schematic attaches ok, let me know if that doesn't work I'll try to dig it out of the shop later tonight to take a pic if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Rader Sidetrack View Post
    I hope someone can help me, this site has great drawing but they are so small I can not read them and if I try to enlarge the image it gets all blurry. An I missing something - How can I read the dims. in the attached .gif?

Thanks, Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. C View Post
    Sorry at work, don't have any pictures at the momment, but I made a schematic real quick on paint. The end bar blank (usually a 2x4 or 2x6 with a dado groove in the end for me) slides in from the side. The endbar is only held in the front and back which is all you need. You can hold the 2x4 and slide the end bar forward without getting anywhere near the cutter. I reccomend screwing the pieces on from the top so your screw heads don't show on the bottom as well, and I clamp a block to the jointer as a stop so I don't cut too far. You have to make a different holder for each size of endbar also.
    Endbar Holder for Jointer Schematic.jpg

Hopefully the schematic attaches ok, let me know if that doesn't work I'll try to dig it out of the shop later tonight to take a pic if needed.
    Thanks for the schematic it does make sense, I was thinking the 2x4 would rest on the table but I see it's just a holder. Are you doing one endbar at a time, multiple end bars stacked together or endbars before they are cut to width?

Quote Originally Posted by hig View Post
    An I missing something - How can I read the dims. in the attached .gif?
    You have to click the link under the drawing, titled "How to build Dadant frames". This will start a download process of the full sized PDF to your computer. You also will need to have a PDF reader installed. If you find that your PC cannot open the downloaded file, you can get a free PDF reader here:
    http://get.adobe.com/reader/
    Make sure to UN-click the box for the McAfee Security software unless you really want it as well.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Quote Originally Posted by Rader Sidetrack View Post
    You have to click the link under the drawing, titled "How to build Dadant frames". This will start a download process of the full sized PDF to your computer. You also will need to have a PDF reader installed. If you find that your PC cannot open the downloaded file, you can get a free PDF reader here:
    http://get.adobe.com/reader/
    Make sure to UN-click the box for the McAfee Security software unless you really want it as well.
    Wow, I don't know how I missed that, I guess I kept trying to save the image.

Thank you!!

Quote Originally Posted by hig View Post
    Thanks for the schematic it does make sense, I was thinking the 2x4 would rest on the table but I see it's just a holder. Are you doing one endbar at a time, multiple end bars stacked together or endbars before they are cut to width?
    I do one blank at a time, which is before they are cut to width. I think a 2x4 blank made like 7 endbars or something, it depends how wide your blade is of course. It takes too long to do them individually, which I tried on a router table, but that was a mess.