Default Are you sure you want to feed this to your bees? Or, consume it in your diet?

Are you sure you want to feed this to your bees?
    Or, consume it in your diet?

It has been highly promoted as being a high quality diet additive.
    It's listed as the 2nd or 3rd ingredient in many foods.
    Eating This "Healthy" Food? It Could be Slowly and Silently Killing You.
    1. Soy Dangers Summarized
    • High levels of phytic acid in soy reduce assimilation of calcium, magnesium, copper, iron and zinc. Phytic acid in soy is not neutralized by ordinary preparation methods such as soaking, sprouting and long, slow cooking, but only with long fermentation. High-phytate diets have caused growth problems in children.

More information will follow.
    Last edited by BEES4U; 12-04-2012 at 07:12 AM.
    Ernie
    My websitehttp://bees4u.com/

Default Re: Are you sure you want to feed this to your bees? Or, consume it in your diet?

I'd not realized people feed candy bars to their bees.
    Buy the ticket, take the ride. -H.S. Thompson

Default Re: Haz-Mat candy bar disposal site

I have established a haz-mat candy bar disposal site on my property. I accept all candy bars. PM me for the shipping address.

Note that the original post (post #1) was edited 8 hours after it was posted, and all references to candy bars were removed. So if you wonder how post #2 came about, its because Post #1 read differently than it does now.
    Last edited by Rader Sidetrack; 12-04-2012 at 12:44 PM. Reason: update with info about candy bar deletion from post #1
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Default Re: Are you sure you want to feed this to your bees? Or, consume it in your diet?

# 2,
    • Trypsin inhibitors in soy interfere with protein digestion and may cause pancreatic disorders. In test animals, soy containing trypsin inhibitors caused stunted growth.
    Ernie

Default Re: Haz-Mat candy bar disposal site

These candy bars are particularly hazardous and should be disposed of immediately.

A "Chunko-Honey" Brand candy bar
    Graham

Quote Originally Posted by BEES4U View Post
    Are you sure you want to feed this to your bees?
    I'm pretty sure it has been established that soy is not good for bees. I took a look in this month's ABJ and the ad for Feed Bee specifically says 'No Soy Products'.
    Mann Lake's Ultra Bee says 'Non Soy Based!'.
    In the distant fog of my memory, I recall some studies that strongly indicated that soy was not good for bees.
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

Quote Originally Posted by BEES4U View Post
    Trypsin inhibitors in soy interfere with protein digestion and may cause pancreatic disorders.
    Who knew that bees even had a pancreas .....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pancreas

If you are annoyed about your soy thread dissolving into candy, try posting some supporting evidence for your theories. How about some links to the source of your cut-n-paste job?
    Graham

Annoyed?
    Not at all.
    You might consider reading the ingredients that are supposed to be "healthy" that are listed in many nutrition bars. You will find it listed as the 2nd or 3rd ingredient in many protein drinks and body building powders.
    Ernie

I don't think anyone is disputing the ingredients in anything. Posting links though to the actual journal articles detailing the research that shows it to be so dangerous is always good and generally accepted as proper when posting something like this.

I'd not realized people feed body-building powders to their bees.
    Buy the ticket, take the ride. -H.S. Thompson

Bees4U, phytic acid is the natural phosporus storage form in most seeds. It is indeed not very digestible in mono-gastrics like us and pigs. Ruminants digest a higher proportion due to fermantation in their guts. Phytase is the enzyme that breaks this compound apart and allows the phosporus to be assimulated. We produce our own phytase, but not enough for full digestion. This is the problem that leads to phosporus effluent in the waste stream. Phytase is added to feeds to increase the utilization of phytate and to reduce the phosporus in the waste stream. It does tie up calcium, iron, and magnesium in the diet. That is why these minerals are added to flour, and other seed based foods. I will reiterate phytate and phytic acid are naturally occuring compounds and they are not dangerous or any risk in our food supply.
    Dave

Dave Burrup

I appreciate your post and better understand the thread after reading it.

Al

Does that mean if I eat a lot of nuts (I like nuts), I could suffer a deficiency in calcium, iron, and magnesium?
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

Oldtimer if you consume a balanced diet you have nothing to worry about. Vegans can have problems due to their lack of animal based foods. The diet in this country is supplemented to prevent the deficencies. Third world countries can also experience the deficencies. If you do not like the supplements then eat a balanced nutrious diet.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Burrup View Post
    I will reiterate phytate and phytic acid are naturally occuring compounds and they are not dangerous or any risk in our food supply.
    Dave
    Gosh, I really hate it when someone comes along and breaks apart some good ole fear mongering with the facts...

Quote Originally Posted by AstroBee View Post
    Gosh, I really hate it when someone comes along and breaks apart some good ole fear mongering with the facts...
    Thanks for making me laugh, AstroBee!

Phytic acid also occurs naturally in wheat, oats, potatoes, peanuts, corn, rice and spinach. Sesame seeds have about 5 times the amount of phytic acid compared to soy. I doubt I will be picking them off bread rolls in the near future.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phytic_acid
    Jeanette
    HiveTasks Software for beekeepers