Sad there is no brood in my hive.,; the population is good and active,

My question is should i be worried about no brood now(dec 5) n This is the second winter for this hive. last month they had plenty of honey and brood and beetle. I got the beetles in line/ today;, i elimimated a supper as it was mostly empty. I have read that the queen will slow down and sometimes stop laying. But I am still worried, as I just lost my newest hive, which was weak.j

one atime they were fine, then the next time piles of bees are dead
    first time posting, and got a cat pawing at me for attention.
    Any suggestions, history, anything will be appreciated
    Alesiaw

Default Re: there is no brood in my hive.,; the population is good and active,

What are you temps? It is winter so I wouldn't expect to see much if your temps are low enough.

Make sure your bees have capped honey and if they don't you need to feed them. Did the hive that died have any honey left? It is not uncommon for the bees to have a period without brood in the winter. I would keep an eye on the situation, but there won't be replacement queens available for a while I imagine.

At least around here, last winter was mild, as with much of the country. They're predicting a dry and warmer winter in the midwest. Almost all queens stop laying, yet there are a few types that still lay a few throughout the winter, likely enough to cover a few hundred losses during those cold times of inactivity. Very common. Always thought that 99% of all activity could be predicted by a quick observation from outside the hives. Spend 10 minutes about 15 feet away from them and watch what goes on.
    Honey is the best thing ever discovered ! www.greenanything.net/honey-bees.php

What kind of bees are they? I had a few hives of Carnolians (sp) last year and they would get completely brood less this time of year. My Italians never get completely brood less but, I am in Florida to so keep that in mind. Being you are North of me it is quite possible your queens have stopped laying.