Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Not quite ready to panic

Sheesh…yesterday, today and tomorrow in the seventies. I know it’s a bit early to panic but it is starting out much like last winter. If so, I’ll have to start feeding all the hives by mid January just to get them through the winter. And the mites will be awful again next year. I’m hoping that this isn’t a long term pattern. If it is, I’ll have to overwinter with three deeps just to have enough honey for them!
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

Default Re: Not quite ready to panic

You might be interested in this website : http://www.weathertrends360.com/Graph/30day/ST3305
    BeeCurious
    Trying to think inside the box...

Looking for a similar winter as last year up here. Had 100% survival last winter.

@Beecurious - That is a pretty cool website! I just typed in my zip code, and for the next month nothing below 0 degrees F! Not bad for MN going into winter. As sick as it sounds, I am hoping for a winter like last year as well - in March it got into the 80s, and there really was not much that resembled a real MN winter. Climate change is an interesting beast....
    www.autonomyacres.com Discussions on Urban Homesteading

Quote Originally Posted by camero7 View Post
    Had 100% survival last winter.
    I hardly lost any last winter either but.....as they were flying most days they were consuming stores at a much higher rate than normal. So, I had to feed most of my hives throughout the winter. Most of mine go into cold weather with two deeps...one filled with honey but last winter that wouldn't have made the grade. Also, here they never really stopped brood production...slowed down a bit but never stopped. As a result mites were more plentiful than ever.
    As I see, you are in MA, so even if it is a bit mild you probably won't see flying bees every day. Last winter I doubt if we had more than one or two weeks that the bees weren't flying. And when they fly and nothing is in bloom....they're big time consumers.
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

dan, i know it sounds crazy, but what if you screened 'em in every other day?
    journaling the growth of a treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

i guess a less crazy idea would be to put a yard feeder out on the days they are flying alot.

mine are flying too. only seeing a little pollen, but they appear to be full of nectar. i have no clue what they are getting into, but they are taking off in all directions to get it.

Our weatherman keeps predicting normal snowfall, (NOt like last year). But day after day we get warmer than normal weather and a prediction of breaking a record tomorrow. So with all my plow equipment serviced and ready to go I think there is going to be more companies getting out of the plowing business next year. It is nice to be working on your plow equipment on Dec 2 in a sweat shirt though.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Burlington Vermont just ended a weather streak of 19 straight months of above average temperatures.

Dandelion blooming here in Loganville but feeding did cross mind today watching them flying

Isn't it amazing how many gallons of syrup fit into a little box!

Quote Originally Posted by squarepeg View Post
    dan, i know it sounds crazy, but what if you screened 'em in every other day?
    At around two hundred hives, scattered in yards throughout the area...it wouldn't be practical. And, frankly, I don't think that it is necessarily the flying that causes an increased honey consumption. As the temperature rises, the bees' metabolism ratchets up and they break cluster. At that point they are burning surplus calories...flying or not.

yeah, dumb post. good luck with the stores holding up dan.

Quote Originally Posted by squarepeg View Post
    yeah, dumb post.
    Nothing dumb about it.

With rain and continued mild conditions in your forecast I just might consider loading up on some dry sugar (and some rain gear) and heading to the bee yards. Getting a little "antsy" myself as I havent had a "bee fix" for about 3 weeks. I fed the heck out of mine and bid them farewell till January, sure would like a peak at them right now.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by jim lyon View Post
    I fed the heck out of mine and bid them farewell till January, sure would like a peak at them right now.
    Moving mine hundreds (thousands?) of miles away to overwinter would make me crazy.....or at least crazier.
    I made a short visit to all of my hives over the past few, warm days. Most would be perfectly ready for a typical, or even a cold winter. But not another like last.
    I think I have access to all the sugar I'll need but I am not geared up for feeding everyone. Last year was dreadful. I started feeding everybody in July and didn't stop until the end of March. At least this year I'm going into winter with good stores.
    If very mild winters are going to become the norm....I'm going to have to make some changes in the way I keep bees.

The trend is warmer weather for me as well but with lots and lots of rain. On non rainy days (few and far between) the bees are flying pretty heavily. I did lift my 30ish hives about a week ago and they are still pretty heavy. Most of my nucs are light though. Time to give them some sugar.
    Beekeeper? Shoot, my bees keep me!
    100 hives in Western Wa State

Quote Originally Posted by beemandan View Post
    Moving mine hundreds (thousands?) of miles away to overwinter would make me crazy.....or at least crazier.

Perhaps that give you an insight into my personality this time of year....and for the record its just under 1,000 miles (I like to call it 16 hours)

If very mild winters are going to become the norm....I'm going to have to make some changes in the way I keep bees.
    Let us all know when you get that "weather thing" figured out Dan. Crazy? Yeah. So perhaps that gives you an insight into my personality, at least this time of year?
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

This is an interesting dilemma.
    How to feed when the winter is or will be often flying weather.
    Slow and steady and they continue to brood and build (here in Florida ).

Can someone discuss how to feed in his senecio so that they put up stores, back fill brood area, slow down or stop producing brood and don't swarm?

*J Lyon - If you need a bee fix you are welcome to come down and "take a peek" at my hives.
    The weather is holding most days shorts are fine and one of my yards is right on the Bay.
    Feed syrup, mark queens, evaluate brood maybe even graft or make splits whatever you want to teach me!

Quote Originally Posted by Mbeck View Post

*J Lyon - If you need a bee fix you are welcome to come down and "take a peek" at my hives.
    The weather is holding most days shorts are fine and one of my yards is right on the Bay.
    Feed syrup, mark queens, evaluate brood maybe even graft or make splits whatever you want to teach me!
    Busy tomorrow? Wait a minute, Florida, isnt that down by Cuba somewhere?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast