Hybrid View

Default Not quite ready to panic

Sheesh…yesterday, today and tomorrow in the seventies. I know it’s a bit early to panic but it is starting out much like last winter. If so, I’ll have to start feeding all the hives by mid January just to get them through the winter. And the mites will be awful again next year. I’m hoping that this isn’t a long term pattern. If it is, I’ll have to overwinter with three deeps just to have enough honey for them!
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

Default Re: Not quite ready to panic

You might be interested in this website : http://www.weathertrends360.com/Graph/30day/ST3305
    BeeCurious
    Trying to think inside the box...

Looking for a similar winter as last year up here. Had 100% survival last winter.

@Beecurious - That is a pretty cool website! I just typed in my zip code, and for the next month nothing below 0 degrees F! Not bad for MN going into winter. As sick as it sounds, I am hoping for a winter like last year as well - in March it got into the 80s, and there really was not much that resembled a real MN winter. Climate change is an interesting beast....
    www.autonomyacres.com Discussions on Urban Homesteading

Quote Originally Posted by camero7 View Post
    Had 100% survival last winter.
    I hardly lost any last winter either but.....as they were flying most days they were consuming stores at a much higher rate than normal. So, I had to feed most of my hives throughout the winter. Most of mine go into cold weather with two deeps...one filled with honey but last winter that wouldn't have made the grade. Also, here they never really stopped brood production...slowed down a bit but never stopped. As a result mites were more plentiful than ever.
    As I see, you are in MA, so even if it is a bit mild you probably won't see flying bees every day. Last winter I doubt if we had more than one or two weeks that the bees weren't flying. And when they fly and nothing is in bloom....they're big time consumers.
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

dan, i know it sounds crazy, but what if you screened 'em in every other day?
    journaling the growth of a treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

i guess a less crazy idea would be to put a yard feeder out on the days they are flying alot.

mine are flying too. only seeing a little pollen, but they appear to be full of nectar. i have no clue what they are getting into, but they are taking off in all directions to get it.
    journaling the growth of a treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

Quote Originally Posted by squarepeg View Post
    dan, i know it sounds crazy, but what if you screened 'em in every other day?
    At around two hundred hives, scattered in yards throughout the area...it wouldn't be practical. And, frankly, I don't think that it is necessarily the flying that causes an increased honey consumption. As the temperature rises, the bees' metabolism ratchets up and they break cluster. At that point they are burning surplus calories...flying or not.

Dandelion blooming here in Loganville but feeding did cross mind today watching them flying

Isn't it amazing how many gallons of syrup fit into a little box!

While it was indeed common to have a significantly higher overwinter success last year in these parts (MN), word on the street is that swarming was more of an issue, and more mite issues as well. For me it's not how many make it through winter, it's how many colonies produce surplus honey for me.

Might need to store bee hives in a 40 deg cooler.