Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    vale, oregon, usa
    Posts
    5

    Default Beeswax question

    http://www.bulkapothecary.com/produc...FWrZQgodNzMAaQ


    Have any of you ever used wax from here ? I bought some to make some waterproofing mix's but I can't keep it all mixed, I keep getting little pieces that separate out and can't get any mixed consistency, and when the melted wax sets up it gets hard enough you can barely cut it, Im wondering if maybe it's not straight beeswax ??

    Thanks in advance for any response

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Concord, CA
    Posts
    4,136

    Default Re: Beeswax question

    Never tried their wax, but pure beeswax is very hard when solid. Sometimes I'll drop a large piece on concrete to shatter it into smaller pieces.
    Dan

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Utica, NY
    Posts
    9,465

    Default Re: Beeswax question

    If it is pure bees wax then it is not filtered. Anytime you process something it is different than what you had to start with.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Park City Ky
    Posts
    1,837

    Default Re: Beeswax question

    acebird,.... That is not true.... unless it has been filtered, (or pocessed in some manner), and impurities (not beeswax) removed, it is not pure beeswax, because it contains impurities, dirt, slumgum, dead bees. leaves etc.

    Being different is not the same as being PURE.

    cchoganjr

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 1999
    Location
    DuPage County, Illinois USA
    Posts
    9,430

    Default Re: Beeswax question

    Quote Originally Posted by Acebird View Post
    Anytime you process something it is different than what you had to start with.
    Just like you taking a shower, or do you take baths? Through the process you end up different than before the process, you're clean, but you're still an Ace!
    Regards, Barry

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Utica, NY
    Posts
    9,465

    Default Re: Beeswax question

    Interesting...
    So if I ultra filter honey and take out all the "impurities" then I have pure honey and natural honey is an imitation?
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Herrick, SD USA
    Posts
    4,365

    Default Re: Beeswax question

    I think it is interesting that many feel that the result of a filtering process which removes pollen, wax and also any suspended contaminants actually results in a product that is less pure.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 1999
    Location
    DuPage County, Illinois USA
    Posts
    9,430

    Default Re: Beeswax question

    Ah oh, down the rabbit hole I go. Ace, as usual, you start your argument with "filter" wax and then switch to "ultra filter" honey.
    Regards, Barry

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Rader, Greene County, Tennessee, USA
    Posts
    6,095

    Default Re: Beeswax question

    Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Ah oh, down the rabbit hole I go.
    And Acebird got another step closer to his 6,000 post target. Only 913 more to go! No time for deep thinking.

    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Park City Ky
    Posts
    1,837

    Default Re: Beeswax question

    Ace...In this case you are correct. If you want anything "PURE," you MUST remove any impurities. That is why it is called PURE, it contains no impurities. From a chemical, biological, and everything else standpoint, what people commonly call PURE HONEY, is to be techinal, RAW Honey. and there is a difference, even tho, in bee language, usage over the years, they have come to be interchangable. No one makes a big difference in the two. Milk is another example of common usage and terminology vrs political correctness.

    Use water as an example as to what it takes to make it PURE. PURE WATER is H2O, two parts hydrogen to each part of oxygen. Anything else in the water, (for instance calcium, sulphur, iron,) and it is not PURE WATER, However, common acceptance has it that minute traces of foreign elements does not prevent water plants and bottlers, from calling their water, PURE Water. Not everyone lives in a perfect world. (fortunately only a few of us chemists and biologists).

    cchoganjr

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Utica, NY
    Posts
    9,465

    Default Re: Beeswax question

    Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Ace, as usual, you start your argument with "filter" wax and then switch to "ultra filter" honey.
    http://www.bulkapothecary.com/produc...FWrZQgodNzMAaQ
    This link is not ultra filtered wax? They are taking the color out (supposedly naturally).

    Yes Cleo, but are we all chemist? Language has different meanings depending on who is speaking. If you have never heard an Englishman speak and he has never heard an American speak the conversation would be difficult speaking the same language.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Utica, NY
    Posts
    9,465

    Default Re: Beeswax question

    Quote Originally Posted by Cleo C. Hogan Jr View Post
    Use water as an example as to what it takes to make it PURE. PURE WATER is H2O, two parts hydrogen to each part of oxygen. Anything else in the water, (for instance calcium, sulphur, iron,) and it is not PURE WATER, However, common acceptance has it that minute traces of foreign elements does not prevent water plants and bottlers, from calling their water, PURE Water. Not everyone lives in a perfect world. (fortunately only a few of us chemists and biologists).
    Technically you have to take out all the gasses so it would only be pure in a vacuum.
    Is that how a Physicist thinks?
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Fairfield County, Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    3,594

    Default Re: Beeswax question

    Quote Originally Posted by Rader Sidetrack View Post
    And Acebird got another step closer to his 6,000 post target. Only 913 more to go! No time for deep thinking.

    This thread has Acebirdger's...
    BeeCurious
    Trying to think inside the box...

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Rader, Greene County, Tennessee, USA
    Posts
    6,095

    Default Re: Beeswax question

    Quote Originally Posted by shane-or. View Post
    Thanks in advance for any response
    Now that your honest question has been thoroughly trashed by Acebird, here is a link to an earlier thread you may find useful:

    http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...il-and-beeswax

    In particular, note the comment by Windfall (post #7)
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Park City Ky
    Posts
    1,837

    Default Re: Beeswax question

    Thanks Raider Sidetrack for getting us back to the subject at hand.

    cchoganjr
    Last edited by Cleo C. Hogan Jr; 12-04-2012 at 06:13 PM. Reason: Delete off topic comment

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Corvallis, OR
    Posts
    223

    Default Re: Beeswax question

    "Pure" is a fairly meaningless adjective these days in any context, rather like "natural." Thus it is purely natural that many futile arguments will ensue.
    Last edited by Luterra; 12-04-2012 at 06:17 PM. Reason: Author deleted his awesome post :-(

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    vale, oregon, usa
    Posts
    5

    Default Re: Beeswax question

    Thanks to all that responded, even to the ones arguing . It's amusing to me to see people trying to see who can pee up the post further than the other, even if there's a chance the wind will come up and blow it back on them...
    Thanks for the link rader, the YouTube video is exactly what I was trying to make but can't get that consistency, I seen a post on here earlier that I didn't get a chance to completely read but now it's gone, wished the author wouldn't have deleted or changed it.

    Thanks again all, I will have more questions in the future and hope you all will help

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    new castle delaware usa
    Posts
    172

    Default Re: Beeswax question

    I agree pissing up the pole
    Quote Originally Posted by shane-or. View Post
    Thanks to all that responded, even to the ones arguing . It's amusing to me to see people trying to see who can pee up the post further than the other, even if there's a chance the wind will come up and blow it back on them...
    Thanks for the link rader, the YouTube video is exactly what I was trying to make but can't get that consistency, I seen a post on here earlier that I didn't get a chance to completely read but now it's gone, wished the author wouldn't have deleted or changed it.

    Thanks again all, I will have more questions in the future and hope you all will help

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    new castle delaware usa
    Posts
    172

    Default Re: Beeswax question

    Quote Originally Posted by oldiron56 View Post
    I agree pissing up the pole
    I ha
    da poodle that would stand on his front legto get higher

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Chesterfield, NH
    Posts
    499

    Default Re: Beeswax question

    Quote Originally Posted by oldiron56 View Post
    I agree pissing up the pole
    IMHO More like bird pooooo

    I apologized for going
    All I need to do is the remarks on question so at may help a beekeeper
    And I do apologized to you (Acebird) and the forum


    BEE HAPPY Jim 134
    Last edited by Jim 134; 12-05-2012 at 05:29 AM. Reason: to apologized to you (Acebird) and the forum
    Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA.
    http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Ads