Default comb building factory

Please note I am in southern Fla, average temps now in low 80's during the day.

I have a backyard hive that's 2 deep, no super. The queen is in the top deep at this time, and bottom has open comb and plenty of open and capped honey frames. No brood. Top has a couple frames not drawn, decent amount of honey and brood.

I have 6 new shallows (I don't use foundation) that I'd like drawn out by spring. If I put one on top of this hive, start feeding 1:1, what are the chances they will draw comb? If it works I will do it on a couple hives.
    Thanks.
    Beverly
    Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones. Prvb 16:24
    March 2010; +/- 30 hives, TF

Default Re: comb building factory

First they will store syrup in all the empty comb. This indeed should lead to the queen moving down. The foundation won't be drawn until the bees need it for storage or brood. Then you will have shallow combs full of syrup.

I'd like tp point out also that when they do start drawing if your doing foundationless keep an close eye on how they draw. I made the mistake of putting a full super of foundationless on top of a hive once. The middle couple frames were nice, they got curved toward the outside. Always best if you can sandwich them between drawn comb. Can't help you on drawing comb in Florida, sorry no experience there.

I know this past year i was building my bee yard numbers and had no comb built out on any frames and from MAY to OCT. i ended up with 16 fully drawn out hives 2 deeps each. And i feed them all off and on all year but there nice and strong here in PA. If they don't build the out side frames just stuick them in the center one at a time and they will. worked for me.
    Say hello to the bad guy!
    year five==== 31 hives==== T{OAV}

Quote Originally Posted by Vance G View Post
    Then you will have shallow combs full of syrup.
    If they draw them out that's the goal. If they fill with syrup I could extract before spring's first nectar run and use it for feed, then get honey.Would there be any problem with that?

Glock, I put them on last spring and they didn't draw them out. Fall run, only 2 drawn out about 75% and filled. But anything already drawn, all my mediums, were filled. I want to convert to honey shallows because of weight.
    Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones. Prvb 16:24
    March 2010; +/- 30 hives, TF

Bevy...You are going to have an orange blossom flow very soon. They will draw like crazy once it starts. You may gain a little by feeding 1:1, but, I think I would just wait for the flow. Let that bottom box get filled with brood for the flow.

cchoganjr