Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: The Best Clothing

I thought clothing was optional?

I usually wear steel toed boots and work jeans because that's what I am usually wearing when I get to go to the bees. I have used just an inspectors jacket/veil combo since I started, but will be buying the ML ultra breeze type jacket for next year, it sucks sweating your butt off in anything over 80 degrees! Haven't got the nads up to work hives in just a T-shirt yet!
    Coyote Creek Bees

I've not been stung with my Pigeon Mountain ventilated suit. I got the suit with the "fencing style" veil and I didn't like it. I don't think the veil was ventilated well and I couldn't see well with it. I replaced it with the round veil and I like it much better. The suit would be much better with zippers in the legs for going over boots. But it was a good price and it works well.

There has been a time when I've seen Tyvek coveralls, a full-face respirator, rubber chemical gloves, and duct tape used to capture a swarm. When you need to work with bees and you don't have your equipment, imagination is a handy thing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnFiCzHUjuQ
    Greg Whitehead, Ten Mile, TN
    Blog - http://gregsbees.blogspot.com/

clothing optional reminded me of my favorite internet video, tried to find it, but the two guys starring in it apparently removed it... and it was soooooo funny!

Roland, I used to be blonde, when I had hair.
    Regards,
    Steven
    "If all you have is a hammer, the whole world is a nail." - A.H. Maslow

Quote Originally Posted by codeboy823 View Post
    As far as veils go, I brooded over which type to get for a long while. Ended up with the attached dome style hooded veil and I am pleased with it. I didn't have any turning/binding issues with the veil. Biggest problem was trying to see a lot of detail through the mesh or wipe sweat off my brow!!
    We have one of each - (Pidgeon Mountain and MannLake) both very good with very minor complaints ( Zips could be a bit better quality)

I use White Security Guard short/long sleeve shirts from Goodwill. Veil, and a cheap, white, cowboy hat ($10.00 at flea market.). White coveralls if bees become aggressive, which isn't very often.

I continue to see people post that they do not wear a veil. PLEASE, don't pass that on to new beekeepers. Please, don't ever work bees without a veil. I have seen too many people who suffered because of this. There is nothing macho about working bees without a veil, and there is nothing sissy about wearing one. It is just, Beekeeping 101.

cchoganjr

Quote Originally Posted by codeboy823 View Post
    Biggest problem was trying to see a lot of detail through the mesh or wipe sweat off my brow!!
    Wear a sweat band on your brow........you'd be surprised how it helps!
    http://OxaVap.com
    Your source for Oxalic Acid Vaporizers

Quote Originally Posted by Cleo C. Hogan Jr View Post
    I continue to see people post that they do not wear a veil. PLEASE, don't pass that on to new beekeepers. Please, don't ever work bees without a veil. I have seen too many people who suffered because of this. There is nothing macho about working bees without a veil, and there is nothing sissy about wearing one. It is just, Beekeeping 101.
    It will only take one sting to the face to convince them to wear a veil!
    Greg Whitehead, Ten Mile, TN
    Blog - http://gregsbees.blogspot.com/

I like the hood style veil. I like the ventilated versions (Golden Bee Products and Ultra Breeze) I like a jacket best for most work but the full suit is nice when it's really hot as I can wear shorts under it and nothing else and when dealing with really hot bees there are less entrance points.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Slow Modem.... you are correct. Three or four years ago I sold 4 hives to a young couple from Munfordville. They said did not believe in using veils, or smokers, About 2 weeks later, for reasons unknown, the bees he was working, (don't know if it was the ones that came from my place, or another one of the hives that he had) became aggresive, and he took about 50 stings to the face. Over a week in the hospital.

Just one, of too many, I have seen who didn't wear a veil, and suffered the consequences..

cchoganjr

i purchased a full suit from brushy with clear view veils and i love the veils .. im 6' 4" so the full suits are not so great for me .. i bought a jacket at brushy and tied up one of my clear views and im super happy.

decided to buy a vented jacket with veil ... and umm its a little heavier than the regular jacket ... and i dunno about cooler .. ill test it out in the field this week .. keep you all posted ..

~~
    http://www.facebook.com/tattooedbeekeeper
    http://www.tattooedhomestead.com

I generally wear jeans and a tee shirt, with an old white button up shirt over that. A hat and veil, with goatskin gloves that are ventilated. The only time I mess with my bees without "suiting up" is just to add syrup to young hives. My mentor (78 years old, been keeping bees since his mid 20's) had a bit of advice when I started. He said sometimes you hear of a dog attacking its owner, and they say the dog had never bitten anyone and was always gentle, it was such a surprise. Bees are animals too, and if for some reason they have a bad day and decide to take it out on you, you do not want to be unprotected.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12