Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default The Best Clothing

Does anyone have a real strong opinion on the "best" type of hat, veil, and bee suit? I think I prefer a jumpsuit. Thanks, BBK

Default Re: The Best Clothing

In summer I don't wear a suit, and often don't wear a veil.
    In cooler weather, I wear a vented helmet and excelsior veil.
    In cool weather my extra layers of clothing have been enough protection from stings, in warmer weather my bees seldom try to sting.
    I *try* to get stung every week or two, though, as it seems to help lessen the pain of a knee injury that often bothers me otherwise.
    (I usually have to provoke the sting)

I purchased the ventilated Mann Lake suit last Spring and did not get one sting while wearing it. I was filling my feeders without a suit one day and did get a sting on the wrist.....my only sting of the year.

I will put a jacket on before anything else, mostly because it is the fastest. I don't know how hot it gets in Bunkerville, but that might make me want just a veil. I haven't worn my suit in many years.

I just got an ultrabreeze as a early christmas gift, and I must say im pretty impressed. I havn't been able to actually use it yet, but I cant really tell how a bee would sting me through it.
    Chris Cree
    Cree's Bees

Once I developed an allergy to bee stings, I got an ultrabreeze suit. I haven't been stung with it on yet, and it is a LOT more comfortable than my old coverall style of suit. I did get one bee inside my veil one time because I ddin't get the veil closure done right. That was pretty scary!

Ted

Ultrabreeze, never been stung with it on...well not thru the jacket, how they found my plummers crack I will never know.
    Mike Forbes
    Red Dirt Apiaries

I've never been stung through my Golden Bee.

Sondra

Quote Originally Posted by NasalSponge View Post
    Ultrabreeze, never been stung with it on...well not thru the jacket, how they found my plummers crack I will never know.
    Thanks for the visual. Hee hee

Khaki Dickie pants, tucked into white yellow toe socks, khaki long sleeve shirt, rolled up above the elbows, either veil with hat or not. Show them the "harry armed guy".

Crazy Roland

Ultrabreeze.
    Never been stung through it.
    Stung lots when not wearing it.

I love my ultra breeze. During the summer I wear no shirt under it and have only been stung once through my suit when I was carrying a super up against my stomach. Ultra breeze is a very well made suit. They were the only ventilated suit around for a while. But, now there are a couple other options. I have heard good things about the Mann lake and Pigeon mountain ventilated suits.

As far as veils go, I brooded over which type to get for a long while. Ended up with the attached dome style hooded veil and I am pleased with it. I didn't have any turning/binding issues with the veil. Biggest problem was trying to see a lot of detail through the mesh or wipe sweat off my brow!!

jeans, boots, old long sleeved white shirt, pith helmet with veil. duct tape jeans to boots. good to go. any stings on hands are good for the arthritis.
    Jump suits I would think would bind across the shoulders or upper back, nice place for stings.
    Regards,
    Steven
    "If all you have is a hammer, the whole world is a nail." - A.H. Maslow

StevenG - you roll up the long sleeves?

Crazy (Harry armed guy) Roland

The best ones are always those old white shirts at the local Goodwill with someones name stenciled on the collar.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Sneakers, jeans, T-shirt, Alexander veil, Vermont Beekeepers cap. Oh yeah...Vermont. On chilly days, add one of them old white shirts from Goodwill. Mine say Green Mountain Coffee Roasters on the front. On cold days add an old sweater, and warm gloves, and my favorite toque. Then then snow comes....and on go the boots, long-johns, winter coat...get the bees wrapped up and put to bed.

Boots, carhartt pants, long sleeved shirt, vent hat and square veil. On colder days I put on a jacket. Gloveless hands.
    Beekeeper? Shoot, my bees keep me!
    100 hives in Western Wa State

Roland, sorry I'm so late in replying, been exceptionally busy....
    Have hairy arms also, but don't like the bees getting into them... so I leave the sleeves rolled down. What thrills me is having my shirt stuck to me in the middle of August, and one of the little darlings nailing me between the shoulder blades...

I was taking a break one day, sitting in the shade drinking some water. One of the gals landed on my shirt, and I watched her suck up my salty sweat... have seen that on the back of my hand too.
    Regards,
    Steven
    "If all you have is a hammer, the whole world is a nail." - A.H. Maslow

This "Hairy arm Guy" rolls up his sleeve. Maybe they don't get tangled in the blond hair as much.

Crazy Roland

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast