Hybrid View

Default The Best Clothing

Does anyone have a real strong opinion on the "best" type of hat, veil, and bee suit? I think I prefer a jumpsuit. Thanks, BBK

Default Re: The Best Clothing

In summer I don't wear a suit, and often don't wear a veil.
    In cooler weather, I wear a vented helmet and excelsior veil.
    In cool weather my extra layers of clothing have been enough protection from stings, in warmer weather my bees seldom try to sting.
    I *try* to get stung every week or two, though, as it seems to help lessen the pain of a knee injury that often bothers me otherwise.
    (I usually have to provoke the sting)

I purchased the ventilated Mann Lake suit last Spring and did not get one sting while wearing it. I was filling my feeders without a suit one day and did get a sting on the wrist.....my only sting of the year.

I will put a jacket on before anything else, mostly because it is the fastest. I don't know how hot it gets in Bunkerville, but that might make me want just a veil. I haven't worn my suit in many years.

I just got an ultrabreeze as a early christmas gift, and I must say im pretty impressed. I havn't been able to actually use it yet, but I cant really tell how a bee would sting me through it.
    Chris Cree
    Cree's Bees

Once I developed an allergy to bee stings, I got an ultrabreeze suit. I haven't been stung with it on yet, and it is a LOT more comfortable than my old coverall style of suit. I did get one bee inside my veil one time because I ddin't get the veil closure done right. That was pretty scary!

Ted