Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

New in Central Florida

4K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  HTC 
#1 ·
So I am doing research on beekeeping and really want my own hive. I just don't know if I can have one where I live. I live in the city proper of Ormond Beach fl. I don't see any covenants preventing me from keeping a hive in by back yard, but I may have overlooked it. The hive would be away from people and lots of activity. Would any one know? I know I would have to get it inspected and registered, so that's already factored in my decision. This site has such a great deal of info,thank you
Joyce

#3 ·
Welcome Joyce! The Bee Protection Act or Right to Farm Law took effect July 1st. Florida Statute supercedes all local laws restricting beekeeping in Florida. You can contact me or Cathy Deweese to arrange state inspection, Gary.Vancleef@FreshFromFlorida.com or Cathy.Deweese@FreshFromFlorida.com Local governments are looking for unregistered beekeepers since the law change.
"586.10 Powers and duties of department; preemption of local government ordinances.—
(1) The authority to regulate, inspect, and permit managed honeybee colonies and to adopt rules on the placement and location of registered inspected managed honeybee colonies is preempted to the state through the department and supersedes any related ordinance adopted by a county, municipality, or political subdivision thereof.
If you ever have a problem with Code enforcement or a question about Apiary Inspection you will be calling Cathy, David Westervelt or me.

#5 ·
Thank you very much for the info. I have always wanted to start a beehive, I find them interesting and have always been inquisitive. I also put up a bat house,although it's not occupied yet. I am just starting in my research and plan to join a local beekeeping chapter. My hubby just laughs,but supports this new venture. I am still unsure as to what breed of bee would be good to start with. Any suggestions? I live a block from the inter coastal, so I have a water source and have plenty of plants around for the bees to forage, as well as offering additional feed as needed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.