Default Extract Several Frames Without an Extractor?

I have several frames to extract and don't want to spend $ to rent an extractor for such a small amount.

This is my very-first harvest , so we are excited about getting some honey, even if it's a little.

Frames have both capped and uncapped cells.

I have a knife, uncapping fork, and some fine mesh filters.

I've heard of two separate methods: 1) cut off and crush - to allow honey to drip down through filter, OR 2) mildly heat pot inside another pot of water to melt wax away from honey, then separate by filtering.

Any ideas - greatly appreciated.

Michael

Default Re: Extract Several Frames Without an Extractor?

definetly NOT #2. Wax melts atlike 165 or so, and honey taken to this temperature will affect it's flavor and color. What kind of frames are they? What kind of foundation? If you have plastic foundation in there you can just take a spatula and scrap it down in to the filters, let it drain and then mash up what's left to see if you can release any more honey. enjoy. If you have foundationless or wax foundation then probably crush and strain is your best bet. You lose the comb, but the honey will be wonderful. Good luck.

Rod

How many frames?
    uncap by any method you chose and invert the frames in a warm room over a container that will catch the honey. Leave for a day or so.

http://i697.photobucket.com/albums/v...r/P1030990.jpg
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Since you have strainers just crush and strain...

You will lose the comb, but you will be pleased to have a nice little chunk of wax. You'll also avoid a mess.
    BeeCurious
    Trying to think inside the box...

The bees did not cap all the cells. About half were uncapped. Is it ok to mix the uncapped honey with capped honey?

These are plastic frames. If totaled, the capped honey would only equal about half a side - so indeed precious little. But I really appreciate the feedback!

Michael
    Last edited by mpmurray; 12-01-2012 at 01:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mpmurray View Post
    The bees did not cap all the cells. About half were uncapped. Is it ok to mix the uncapped honey with capped honey?

These are plastic frames. If totaled, the capped honey would only equal about half a side - so indeed precious little. But I really appreciate the feedback!

Michael
    Just scrape off all of the capped honey first if you want to keep it separate. Strain the open cells last and just consume it first. It will be fine in your tea... or on your finger... :-)
    BeeCurious
    Trying to think inside the box...

Is it honey or nectar?

In another thread... did the bees make that hexagon plastic comb round?
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Is it ok to mix the uncapped honey with capped honey?
    The honey in the uncapped cells may have a higher moisture content than the capped cells. That additional moisture may mean that the honey in the uncapped cells could ferment. That is why BeeCurious recommended keeping them separate and using the uncapped honey up first. If you have only a small amount, and are going to use it relatively quickly, then it should be OK to mix them together.
    ultracrepidarian >> noting or pertaining to a person who criticizes, judges, or gives advice outside of his expertise

I would shake the comb. If the open cells have nectar, it'll shake off. If not, the moisture content is somewhat higher and you have somewhat less to worry about. As said you could crush and strain and it would be fairly easy to crush the open cells first and use it sooner.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"