Hybrid View

Default How old is too old for Honey?

I have this 20 gal barrel of old dark tulip popular honey that must be 25 years old. The barrel was coated with some kind of paint/teflon coating and has likely been crystalized for a long long time. When it was put up is was strong tasting and I didn't have a market for it so I just forgot about it. I plan to heat it up in a bigger barrel full of water and place a couple of bricks in the bottom of the water barrel and heat it up and liquify the stuff. Plan to re-filter the stuff for the paint chips (lead?) if any look like they came off the sides) and see if it would be fit to feed back to my current bees. I know where this honey came from and don't expect any foulbrood issues but maybe dysentery if feed too much at a time in cold weather . Worth the trouble or any other use?

Default Re: How old is too old for Honey?

The age of the honey doesn't bother me (as long as it hasn't fermented). However, the paint chips are a cause for concern. If the paint chips are indeed lead, you could be poisoning your bees and potentially introducing lead into the honey stores that you intend to rob later.

It might be worth finding out exactly what paint/coating was on the inside of the barrel before making a decision.
    Jeanette
    HiveTasks Software for beekeepers

Age does not make a difference.
    https://www.facebook.com/stevesbees99
    Please visit my page, Thanks

There is some capped honey that has been found by archeologists that is thousands of years old. Presumeably still good.
    Also, you can purchase a lead test kit pretty cheap at any big box store.

I would suggest if you do feed some of this honey back to do so in the early fall to give them plenty of time to cure it. Do not feed it anytime late in the spring or you may well have it show up in your new crop honey.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

A lead test is fairly cheap and only takes a day or two for the results to come back.
    President, San Francisco Beekeepers Association
    www.habitatforhoneybees.org