Default Bur Comb between cells

This is my first year raising queens. My first grafts were about 77% acceptance but only about 50% going into the mating nucs as the finisher was not strong enough and I didnt pay attention to the books. anyway they built a large amount of burr comb between the grafts. I am thinking it was because they were about 2 inches apart. What made them do this? I had to cut alot away to expose the queen cells. any help would be appreciated.

Default Re: Bur Comb between cells

How is your cell bar frame constructed? I'm thinking a standard Hoffman self spacing frame with bars attached.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Palmer View Post
    How is your cell bar frame constructed? I'm thinking a standard Hoffman self spacing frame with bars attached.
    It is just a standard frame that holds 3 bars. I had the top two bars in and left the bottom one out. they built most of the bur comb on the bottom or mid bar. And like I said the cups were spaced out about two to three inches apart.

It doesn't really matter - just cut between them and pick the wax off around the tips of the cells. If it has any negative effect i haven't noticed it. Acceptance and emergence into the mating nucs is still fine.
    Since '09-75H-T-Z6b

I would say there are two issues. The cell bar frame is too wide. Cut down the frame to the same width as the cell bars....probably easier to make a new one. The cells are too far apart. Place them next to each other on the bars.

Add an empty frame to your cell builder, this will give them a place to build.

1. Less space between cells. Put them right next to each other.
    2. Thinner frame
    3. Keep all the bars in, even if you only graft one frame.
    4. Give them a place to put that surplus wax, like a sheet of foundation.

The cells are still good just use a sharp knife to cut the cells apart.

I've always used a modified Hoffman frame, and always had lots of burr comb - I built a narrow one today to try. The waxed up cells really do always work just fine, but if this eliminates it it will be worth building a few new frames. This is the first time I recall hearing that, but it makes sense - so thanks.
    Since '09-75H-T-Z6b